Implemented Transparent Moderation Policies

Discussion in 'Forums Suggestions Archive' started by StolenAccount, Jan 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StolenAccount

StolenAccount Active Member

Suggestion for the skyblock.net forums: the implementation of a transparent moderation policy.

The key importance of having a transparent moderation policy is simple. Without transparency, users may feel that their voices are not being heard or that the moderation is biased. This can lead to frustration, disengagement, and a less vibrant and productive community.

Furthermore, a transparent moderation policy would provide a clear and understandable framework for users to understand what is and isn't acceptable behavior on the forums. This will help to reduce misunderstandings, and also enable users to better self-moderate their own behavior, which can help to reduce the workload of the moderators.

A transparent moderation policy is essential for maintaining a healthy and thriving community on the skyblock.net forums. It promotes trust, fairness, and participation, while also providing clear guidelines for user behavior. It is my belief that this would greatly benefit the community as a whole.

The policy I'm suggesting would prevent the bad practices of:
    * limiting user access in a way that makes people think they are still users of the forum and leave them wondering why they aren't replying to their messages.
    * deleting messages without explanation
    * shadow banning

The rules provided for the skyblock.net forums do not specifically mention how a person is warned or removed from the server or what the process might look like. They do mention that failure to adhere to the rules will result in a punishment and potential permanent removal in severe circumstances, and that users who have been punished can create a new account and create an appeal.

It is possible that a person who has had their access limited in a way that it still appears to them that they are a user on the forums, may not be aware that they have been banned or that their access has been limited. If this is the case, they may not know that they need to create a new account and make an appeal. This lack of clear communication and information about the moderation action taken, can create confusion and frustration for the affected user and may lead them to assume that the forum is broken in some way.

It is always good practice for a moderation system to have a clear process for warnings, bans, and appeals, and for this process to be communicated to the users. This can help to reduce confusion and ensure that users understand the actions taken against them, and also know how to appeal if they feel that the action was unjustified. This transparency and clear communication also helps to build trust and understanding between the users and the forum moderators.

• Neutral Neutral x 1
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  2. StolenAccount

I’ll play the Devil’s advocate in this response

Let’s say there is a user who does not specifically break the rules of the forum, but is deemed disruptive in the eyes of management in that they’re expressing ideas and advocating for changes that management is simply unwilling to ever support. In these cases, an undocumented ban could be an effective tool to maintain control over the community. For example, if a user is sharing ideas that are unpopular with management and began gaining traction with the userbase, it may be in the best interest of the community to quietly ban them. This way, the disruptive ideas are not given a platform to gain more support and potentially harm the community.

Additionally, from a purely tactical point of view, one could then prevent the banned user from appealing the ban. Doing this might avoid further disruption or escalation of the situation in the appeal process. This could be especially useful in cases where the disruptive user had not broken any of the forum rules.

The potential hole in this argument is that it suggests that ideas that are deemed "unpopular" or "disruptive" by management should be silenced and not given a platform to gain support, regardless of the merits of those ideas. This approach implies that management should decide what ideas are worthy of being heard, and which are not, which can only result in bias.

Another potential problem with the Devil’s advocate argument is the idea that preventing a path to appeal is a necessary step to avoid further disruption or escalation of the situation. This could be seen as unjust, as it denies the banned user the right to due process and an opportunity to defend themselves. This can only create an environment of distrust, where users may feel that they can be banned without reason and without any recourse.

So after much consideration, I'm left with the opinion that the use of off-the-record bans will result in a chilling effect on the community, where users may self-censor out of fear being banned. This could lead to a lack of diversity in opinions and ideas, and could also create a sense of mistrust and uncertainty among the community. Additionally, It might also deter a reader from responding to new ideas or even clicking an "agree" button until management has made their position known.

Please support fully transparent moderation policies. Thank you so much for your kind consideration.

3. MorayEel

MorayEel Active Member Premium

IGN:
    MorayEel
    I think things are much better now than they once were.

4. Wadee

Wadee Experienced Member Premium

IGN:
    Wa_e
    Are you able to prove that this happens?

Could you also prove that this happens?

I think it is safe to say that most of the staff team have similar ideas. Similar common sense on what is and is not appropriate to be displayed on the server. Anyhow, this is a server, not a federal government building. No one is entitled to access to play or to post on forums. If staff find what has been said to be disruptive, they have permission to delete that message or to punish the user.

Once again, this is a Minecraft server's forum, not a courtroom.

This happens all the time, it is called a blacklist, and almost every server or forum does it to players who cannot seem to follow the rules. No one is entitled access to play or post if they cannot follow the rules.

I think that the only people that this is a "problem" for are those who are constantly punished for doing things that they have been constantly warned or told not to do. Users know what will and will not entice a reaction out of certain people. Being antagonizing and looking for a reaction out of the community is entirely different than having a different opinion.

I think we (for those who have it) should use our common sense when posting things for others to see. We should "self-moderate" without having to be told step by step what will happen if you post something that is seen as disruptive.

5. StolenAccount

A transparent moderation policy is continuously evolving and improving, as it adapts to the changing dynamics of the community and addresses the concerns and feedback of the community members. Also, I'm glad to hear that the system has improved. Let's keep moving in that direction.

I can't prove that it "happens". I can prove 100% that it happened. Recently.

Re: "government building..." - I wasn't arguing for free speech. I was making a case that transparency is and always will be the key to trust and that trust will always be the key to a functional community.

Re: "not a courtroom..."

The forum rules include an appeal process. If the rules stated "you can be banned at any time, for any reason and without explaination" that would be a transparent moderation policy.

Re: "the only people this is a problem for..."

Without knowing, I don't think you can say that with any more confidence than I can be confident in saying: "The only people people this will probably never be a problem for, are those who attempt to gain favor by defending the status quo."

6. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Making the transparent now (assuming they exist) would only show how poorly they are followed.

7. StolenAccount

Your response seems to imply that there may be issues with the current moderation policy or practices on the skyblock.net forums. If I follow you accurately, you're suggesting that making the moderation policy transparent would reveal problems or shortcomings in how it's being followed. Please correct me if I'm wrong and I'll wait to respond with my opinion following that. I'm really eager to hear what you have to say.

8. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo suspects there is no policy at all given my earlier suggestion of providing guidelines for staff was denied.

9. StolenAccount

That is discouraging.

10. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Get used to that.

11. StolenAccount

gonnahappennever.PNG Additional suggestion: close this thread as declined suggestion so I can use this funny image in my forum signature.

12. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Tags are obviously shown alphabetically. Should change to ‘ain’t gonna happen’.

13. StolenAccount

[APPROVED] Tag edit suggestion

14. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Given the failure by some staff to abide by the servers own terms and conditions, one would have to conclude that there are no moderation policies, none that are followed at least.
    Staff failures are more transparent than they might believe. They are being judged by players and by their fellow staff.

This is a paid service (if a purchase is made) for which consumers have legal rights and expectations to treated fairly.
    Any consumer protection group, would suggest a remedy be sought with the provider after which, court is an option.
    The fact that so few consumers actually bother going that far with it is exploited by many service providers and they simply choose to neglect their responsibilities.

It's also done when staff make poor decisions that they cannot back up with any valid argument.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  15. Killater2002

Killater2002 Active Member Premium Premium Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Killater2002
    I'd like to see this implemented, however knowing this server it won't :/

16. JAWD543

JAWD543 Active Member

IGN:
    JAWD543
    Lol, it's pretty much impossible to get a suggestions implement when it depowers the ones voting it in. I would like this to be implemented but I know the mods would never implement a transparent policy. This dude getting ban just goes to show the like their power and the ain't voting in a suggestions making abusing the power harder.

17. Dexuby

Dexuby Active Member

IGN:
    Dexuby
    The moderation is pretty transparent. You get to know who punished you and the reasoning - that's all you have to know. You can even discuss your point of view with the staff member that punished you in the form of an appeal. You'll find much less punishment transparency in pretty much every online game out there. The punishment itself always depends on the users history and the individual case/severity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.