To help out the community, cover spaced out inappropriate words.

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions Archive' started by boba, Aug 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boba

boba modern manifesto Premium

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    In Skyblock, we have a 0% tolerance for inappropriate words. In a not so long ago event, I found out that some words can be spelt out properly by being spaced out. My suggestion is to block all inappropriate words registered in Skyblock (that will be blocked out with asterisks went put in chat) when spaced out.

For example: Let's say Boba was a bad word. The sentence typed would be: Boba smells. But when put in chat, it'd be **** smells (asterisks do not signify a bad word).

But in a thing I saw, it can be spelt like: B o b a smells. The bad word isn't covered. So the suggestion is to make it that all bad words spelt out should be covered in asterisks. Whatever words that Skyblock covers, should also be covered when spelt out like my example above.

Pros:

1. Will make these types of words invisible.
    2. Would ensure a safe community.
    3. Wouldn't expose younger people to such words.

I attached a following document for only staff to see, for specific reasons.

It may seem this isn't really necessary but it would be better for the community. Please leave feedback! :)

(Sorry if this doesn't make that much sense)

Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by staff members**

• Neutral Neutral x 3
    • No Support No Support x 3
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  2. Jerrry

Jerrry Well-Known Member

IGN:
    fpschess
    neutral, this would be a good addition but not especially required. some words that are perfectly fine might be turned to asterisks also. It would definitely be hard to implement.
    Neutral leaning towards no support.

3. boba

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    My suggestion would be words that are already registered in Skyblock to be covered should also be covered when spelt out. It is not really required but it'd ensure some more safety.

4. trinity

trinity selene Discord Moderator Premium

IGN:
    sunflow27
    Maybe instead of covering them to just go ahead and censor it how it already is in general?

5. boba

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    Sorry, that’s what I meant. By saying covering them, I was meaning to say censor. Thanks for the correction!

6. Wardalicious

Wardalicious Well-Known Member Premium

IGN:
    Wardalicious
    This would encourage people to abuse it. It's happened in the past on this server, and it will happen again, should this be implemented. The message should simply be deleted, and players told to not say such things. (as it already is)

I see no benefit. This would only harm, in my opinion.

7. boba

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    I wasn’t aware that this was abused before. Also I’m not sure how it was and how it will be because if players currently don’t abuse swear words right now, not sure how they’ll abuse it if this is implemented. Thank you for the information and your feedback though! :D

8. Coronne

Coronne Well-Known Member

I think the more that you try to deny something from someone, the more they will be inclined to do it.

Your intent is actually great, but I think it can be implemented in other ways than simply increasing the magnitude of censorship on the server :thumbsup:

9. Krissy

Krissy hyyh Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

From the screenshot you posted technically it won't really change much. Because the filter itself sometimes will miss certain types of censor we might as well add the word to be fully censored then to let the message go into public even with some censorship. It isn't fixing a problem if we censor it

10. boba

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    Based on what you said then, I don’t think this will be implemented so a staff can archive/lock this then. Bossgamer Athyrix (online when I tagged)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  11. Adriansop

Adriansop Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    Adriansop
    You could otherwise replace sentences that include inappropriate word with for example "Hey guys, I just tried to do something very silly"; Change bad behaviour with mockery. But then spam might become an issue.

12. Agent

Agent not really an agent Premium

IGN:
    Agentyy
    Thread locked on request.
    If you disagree to this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,
    The Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.