Denied [Stemoney] Inappropriate Chat Mute [Michael] [Denied]

Discussion in 'Appeals Archive' started by Stemony, Jan 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stemony

Stemony Active Member

[Your in game name] Reason for ban [The Person who banned you]

1. Server/platform (Classic / Skyblock / Forums / Discord ): Economy
    2. In-game name: Stemony
    3. Full exact Ban Message: Frxn_ here's one. p***s
    4. Did you read the rules ? Yes.
    5. Why do YOU think you were banned? Can I rant here? I will anyways. Basically some people in chat were saying somewhat offensive things (will provide what things if asked), and Frxn_ was basically hardcore mini-modding. Like this guy is declaring he's going to report them all, they should give him more screenshots, and he's going to call on mods. Then he gets on 2 mods, michael and bossy. At this point, I messaged one of the people that was being targeted, Jaysal, saying I took his side because what he had said did not deserve any sort of punishment, and Frxn_, not even a mod, shouldn't be constantly attacking everyone for whatever they say. At this point people are talking in chat about butts and poop and the mods ask chat to move to more appropriate topics. Frxn_ says: "Can you guys stop? Like I'm enjoying this but I'll need to add too many pictures in the report". _________________________ My noble reply: "Frxn_ here's one. p***s" Unfortunately, the chat filter blocks my message. Extra unfortunately, michael mutes me for a day.________________ ___
    6. Was this an incorrect ban? Look, it's your call. Mods and players should never be allowed to escalate these types of situations or project such oppressive things on players. Players should never talk about how they're going to report everyone that says something wrong. Sure, what players say are offensive, and very r/iamverybadass, but there's no point escalating the situation by calling them out and repeatedly telling them you're going to contact your staff friends to see them muted. In terms of my own mute, I was a victim of a tense, escalated situation, where the mods were looking for people to ban. But yeah, totally your call. Even if it did get filtered, I did say a bad word, that could corrupt the kids that play this server.
    7. Were you ever banned before on SkyBlock? If so, what for? Nope, no mutes or bans. Played since 2013.
    8. Why do you think you should be unbanned? Reasons listed above.

In the screenshots: Frxn_'s message is split between the two screenshots. Says: "Can you guys seriously stop? Like I'm enjoying this but I'll need to add too many pictures in the report"

My very mature reply: "Frxn here's one. p***s" (filtered)

Attached Files:

2. Stemony

Stemony Active Member

Also, you can get banned for a filtered message? If I say in chat "p***s" and it's filtered, I can get held accountable for that?? Like isn't the point of the filter to stop you from saying offensive things, so if what I said was filtered, I didn't say anything offensive, but I'm muted for intending to???

3. Michael

Michael Active Member

IGN:
    michael1234
    Hello Stemony, I apologize for the rather delayed response.

I would like to apologize for any misunderstandings that have resulted from this situation. When you were originally muted, the chat was quite hectic, as multiple players were being offensive or making inappropriate comments, despite being warned multiple times by both Boss and myself. I believe that we had made it very clear that this behavior was not tolerated, and any future offenders would be immediately punished and given less leniency, as there were very blatant warnings.

Considering the situation, as well as the content, almost immediately after being warned to move the chat to a more appropriate topic, I feel that this mute was perfectly justified. Twenty four hours is not a super long time, and your ability to play on the server has not been taken away for this offense; I have simply removed your ability to talk in public chat for one day, due to your actions. I believe that if anything, I was lenient, as I genuinely considered a longer mute.

Had this offense been under different circumstances, it may have resulted in only a warning, or kick; however, you made a completely unnecessary comment, targeted at a specific player, right after two staff members had to warn the chat about moving to a different, more appropriate, topic. I fail to see how this comment was at all needed, appropriate, or deserving of anything less than a mute, even if it was caught by the filter. The filter should not be viewed as a "second chance", but rather an extra precaution to keep inappropriate comments out of chat if no staff members are able to get online at the moment. Even though the message was dropped, due to its content, you still had every intention of attempting to send that message in public chat; it just happened to be caught by the filter. You are simply trying to use the fact that it was caught to excuse your actions, which is a very irresponsible way to handle this situation.
    To answer your question: yes, you can be held accountable for your actions. Even if it was not successful, there are very few circumstances in both real life, and in virtual games, in which you cannot be held accountable for your actions solely based on the fact that it was unsuccessful; if I attempted to rob a bank, but was unsuccessful because a security guard caught me, I cannot claim that I should not be held responsible due to the fact that I never actually stole anything, and the guard already did their job. The punishment might not be as severe, but I would still be held accountable for my actions, which is exactly what happened in this situation. I considered a longer mute; however, I decided on 24 hours as it was caught by the filter, yet still is not a form of acceptable behavior.

Due to the fact that you do not seem to be genuinely sorry for your actions, and the fact that you tried to evade your mute on two other accounts, I will have to deny this appeal. Please take this time to rethink your actions, before joining public chat on the server again.

4. Michael

Michael Active Member

IGN:
    michael1234
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.