Standards or no?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by KhalDrogo, Apr 1, 2022.

1. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    This IS NOT the topic of discussion.
    So Drogo received a verbal warning and removal of a post today for using the technical term for the male genitalia. This word is not vulgar, it is not slang, it is not profane. It's a word that most kids learn by the time they are about 5.
    In actual fact the word itself was not used, rather there was a p and an s and a few *'s in the middle.
    Now Drogo isn't here to discuss his post or debate whether any post removal or warning was warranted.

This IS the topic of discussion.
    It has however prompted Drogo to begin a discussion of a phrase that gets used incredibly often on these forums and servers. A phrase used by players and moderators alike. Even appearing in staff signatures!
    Now this phrase that Drogo speaks of contains one word in particular that certainly is profane and vulgar, a word that would have many a mother send their child to their room for muttering.
    The phrase Drogo speaks of is 'WTF' and variants of it.

Now Drogo knows that the word itself has been reduced to 'F' but who doesn't say the whole thing in their head when they read it?
    How is it, that a word, that many people would consider one of the MOST vulgar words ever created, gets thrown around so much by players and staff on a forum and in game that claims to be 'PG' without it raising any issue at all?

For context, the phrase 'WTF' has been used 39 times today so far on the Eco server alone and for some idea of it's degree of use on forums, run a search for *WTF*

Seriously, If you want to claim to run a PG forum and server but are happy for this phrase to be thrown about like it's nothing, then you are kidding yourself.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  2. Awesomolocity

Awesomolocity Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Awesomolocity
    I sorta agree, but also I can't really think of many circumstances where the word you mentioned would be used in a non sexual way, but "wtf" has kinda evolved beyond the original abbreviation, and isn't exactly sexual or totally inappropriate in nature.

But as I said, I see your point - especially if it was already censored by you.

3. Queen

Queen Well-Known Member

IGN:
    QueenxAlex
    Because the moderators are a bunch of childish 5 year olds who think genitals are wrong!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    As mentioned previously, this thread isn't to discuss Drogo's deleted post, but in response to what you have said. The post was not sexual, and the word was censored automatically, not by Drogo, which suggests, it's use on the forums in this form has been deemed acceptable by whomever manages the forum.

Drogo would say any use of the F word is inappropriate in absolutely every instance on this "PG rated" server. If you want to test how inappropriate it is, start using the non abbreviated phrase in general chat or when your mum asks you to do something.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  5. Queen

Queen Well-Known Member

IGN:
    QueenxAlex
    Nah can't agree with that Drogy, us youngsters use the term "WTF" as just a general thing we say when we are shocked, we only mean it in a naughty way when we say the full version

6. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Regardless of what 'youngsters' think of the phrase, this server, run by what I assume to be adults, can not claim it to be PG and allow the use of the phrase.
    The term PG was not created by 'youngsters' so take it from an 'oldy' who knows what standards it should bring. 'WTF' is not PG.

7. Queen

Queen Well-Known Member

IGN:
    QueenxAlex
    That is where you think too highly Drogy, this server is run by children, the median age of 17 :hearteyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    That would only validate my point that it would seem they have no concept of what PG means.
    But Drogo didn't start this thread to flame the staff and he knows that many of them are mature enough to know full well what PG means.

Also, if the median age of staff is 17, then approximately half of them are 18+ which, here in Australia would classify them as adults.

9. Cyk753

Cyk753 Super Moderator Super Moderator Staff Applicant Advisor

I see you misunderstand your warning.

Staff members screen for inappropriate context, not just certain words. The Staff Team agrees that the sexual joke you made does not belong on Skyblock. Staff has consistently given warnings, mutes, and bans (depending on severity and/or repetition) for these kinds of comments over the years in game. The same rules and code of conduct also apply to Forums.

We ask players to please help keep Skyblock a positive space for everyone to enjoy. And that includes not allowing sexual content for the sake of the younger players who join. I agree with your post here that not everything has to be outlined and that it should be commons sense to know what is polite conversation and what is vulgar behavior.
    upload_2022-4-1_7-51-47.png
    Skyblock Official Site | Skyblock

In this situation though, I think it is clearly explained in the Code of Conduct Skyblock Official Site | Skyblock

Last reminder that SkyBlock is primarily a game, but we also care about building a community. Rules and Code of Conduct are like Terms of Service. If someone cannot adhere to that, then Staff has to give out infractions up to removal from platforms.

I hope that answered some of your questions and concerns.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    No Cyk. You haven't answered any question or touched on the concerns raised at all. You are totally off topic with a few falsities thrown in. I kindly ask that you do not derail this thread as it is against the forum rules to do so.

Drogo mentioned the warning and removal of the post only as a lead in to what he considers a serious topic. Drogo made it abundantly clear what the topic was. A topic that you have failed to make any comment on.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  11. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

I'm going to ask a serious question
    Do you want us to start treating the phrase WTF as swearing: filtering it from all the servers just like all swear words and making the server truely PG
    Or perhaps do you want us to allow the phrase WTF and allow swearing and not have a PG server?
    I ask because there is no real solution to the issue you raise. It is a critique but the aim is missing.

There are various text slang that get used which contain vulgar language: LMAO, LMFAO, WTF, TF etc
    People pronounce them as such:
    Double U - Tee - Eff
    Lem - ay - o or Lem- Ow

These abbreviations have become words of their own and the vulgar word never gets used in people's heads. Even my mum who wouldn't hesitate to scold me for dropping an f bomb allows WTF to get a pass.

I listened to the radio recently, something I rarely do and they no longer censor words they did back when I was a kid. PG can evolve and change.

But most importantly what is considered PG to me will differ from person to person based on age, values, or experience.
    What I think is appropriate for my child at the age of 13 would differ to another parent. Therefore it isn't so clearcut.

I have enough experience to know what is going on from the style and contents of this thread. Therefore i've said what I need to and will leave it at that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    I actually think if you're going to advertise it as being PG then yes even phrases such as that should be filtered. This would be different for a lot of people, but if you punish for being "not age appropriate" then even something like this should be included in that IMO, either make it all PG or none of it, having the in between just can be annoying because then it varies from person to person what they believe is accepted. But, if it won't be advertised as fully PG or not at all, then at least change it similarly to how discord worded it with something like "mild swearing and PG-13 content is allowed but anything beyond that is prohibited".

• Like Like x 3
  13. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

The phrase WTF is PG.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  14. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    It's not Drogo's place to say what you should or should not do which is why there is no 'aim' as you say. It is merely a critique, nothing more. Drogo is merely pointing out that if you allow the use of the phrase WTF you cannot claim that this game is 'PG'.

You can say all you like about what you think is common talk and acceptable in the eyes of the youth and how they might pronounce these phrases, but the definition of 'PG' as a rating for movies or computer games is set by the various government appointed advisory boards and Drogo will tell you, you won't see the use of 'WTF' in anything rated 'PG'

Your comment "what is considered PG to me will differ from person to person" tells me that you don't understand what PG means. It doesn't differ from person to person because it's defined by government agencies. It is the same for everyone. It might differ slightly between countries but Drogo suspects, not by much.

Regarding this comment:"What I think is appropriate for my child at the age of 13 would differ to another parent." is absolutely true. But this is why we have the PG rating, so that the Individual parents can assess the content themselves and make judgment.
    Think of PG as a broad bucket of content. individual parents can pick from the bucket what they will and say, that is or is not acceptable for my child, but they can't change the contents of the bucket.
    If WTF is not in the bucket, it's not 'PG'.

Another way to think about it is like this. You staff are the authority on this forum/server. You dictate, what is appropriate, you sit above the players on this and the players can't dictate what is appropriate.
    The government agencies that determine what is PG, sit above you and they say what is PG. You can not dictate what is PG.

Unless of course you're not referring to PG being 'Parental Guidance' but some other youthful phrase pronounce Pee-Gee

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
  15. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    I'd disagree, but that's me personally, if I had young kids I wouldn't let them use that phrase at all or want them to see that from people using it all the time

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Wow, Drogo totally disagrees with this statement. Please provide the source of that bit of information.Understand, we don't get to make our own judgements on what PG means, it's not a personal choice.
    Drogo understand you might have a view on the phrase WTF, but some more research on what PG means is needed.
    Also to suggest that no one says the 'F' word in their head when they read WTF is naive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo totally agrees. As a parent myself, one who often swears more than most, so certainly no prude, Drogo can tell you with absolute certainty, the phrase WTF is not considered acceptable by the vast majority of parents.

• Like Like x 1
  18. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Didnt the phrase WTF turn into WTH when you typed it? That would be nice having it back if it wasn't removed rather than censoring the word itself

• Like Like x 1
  19. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo doesn't think WTH is any better to be honest. And Drogo is in no way religious.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Better than kids finding out what the F stands for but again nothings safe on the internet

• Agree Agree x 1