Spamming Threads

Discussion in 'Discussions Archive' started by Lemonade, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Lemonade

Lemonade Boss Member

IGN:
    Lemonade__
    I've seen this happen a lot on many help threads recently, and I thought that I should address the issue.

If you are going to reply to a help thread or something along those lines, please do not repeat what someone has already said. If it's already been said, then more than likely you're just trying to increase a post count. I understand that you have correct intentions, but I believe that this can be monitored to a minimum if people read what has been previously stated.

I'm not accusing anyone, but I am saying just to keep an eye out for this issue. Again, not accusing anyone; just be careful.

2. SkiCen

SkiCen Active Member

Would this count for mod apps?

3. Krissy

Krissy hyyh Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Any posts unrelated to the topic, excluding this post, will be deleted.
    Do not post off topic on this thread, do not tag people and do not argue.
    continuing to post off topic or argue will result in a reply ban.

4. Krissy

Krissy hyyh Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

It applies to all sections that involve a post count

5. Teeler

Teeler i am kenough

IGN:
    TeelerSwift69
    Thanks for sharing, Lemo. This also goes for quoting a post and not saying anything as well, right?

6. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

But then If there is one person that says : Support
    Nobody else can now support

7. MrFudgyButtons

MrFudgyButtons Well-Known Member

can i just.... butt in... here...

thats been bugging me for years. its on every thread. they will litterally repeat what 50 other people have said and its like... why....

someone will say for example "no thats against the rules"
    and you will see something like that rephrased multiple times, every page if the post keeps going.
    usually not adding anything new. or just rephrasing or repeating stated reasons/concerns etc.

8. Frederic

Frederic Well-Known Member

IGN:
    derf128
    The biggest post farming threads IMHO are the suggestion. Since there is a "support" and a "no support" rating for this very purpose, shouldn't it be considered spamming as well when replying to the thread with these only words? Or even worse : saying "neutral". Who cares if you don't have an opinion?

9. Lemonade

Lemonade Boss Member

IGN:
    Lemonade__
    There actually is a rule in that section for spamming threads. There is also a general rule of common sense that applies to it.
    No, not really. You can say support because it's your opinion, but spamming threads with it would be post farming. Helping someone isn't your own opinion; suggestions and supporting or not supporting are your own opinion.

10. Frederic

IGN:
    derf128
    IMHO "support" is not an opinion. It is an action that is the consequence of an opinion that is rarely given in the same post. If I say "I support Bernie" that is close to zero information as to what my personal opinion is. Because my opinion is "why", not "therefore".

A row of ten posts that all say either "support" or its contrary, that is annoying spam to me. I don't wait to have two times the same useless mail from the same sender in my inbox to consider it spam. Do you? There is a rating system in suggestions and applications forums that help to keep it neat. There's no need for those one or two worded posts.

This is an opinion. :)

11. Lemonade

Lemonade Boss Member

IGN:
    Lemonade__
    That's not exactly what I meant. What I meant was to explain yourself clearly (unlike I just did), and then you won't be blamed for spamming threads without reason.

12. Frederic

IGN:
    derf128
    OK so we basically agree, right? :)

I'm wondering then how we could get to the point where suggestions and applications are overcrowded with these basic interjected one-worded posts? You seem to consider it an annoyance as well. What do your fellow mods think?

13. Elric

Elric Well-Known Member

Yay, no more spamming 'support' or 'no support' in suggestions. :t

14. clxrity

clxrity Experienced Member

IGN:
    clxrity
    You're saying we can't reply "support" or "no support" on a suggestion? o_O

15. Frederic

IGN:
    derf128
    Yeah. What's the point of doing so when you just had to click the corresponding rating on the OP? It's overcrowding the thread with unnecessary posts.

If you want to justify as to why you support or not, then okay, post it. But otherwise let the others have more room for constructive answers. Or find constructive posts more easily.

It's a little bit another issue than in the help section, but it's still thread spamming IMHO

16. Crystal

Crystal Well-Known Member

For suggestions, can we say "No Support" or "Support" if we explain our views in detail?

17. fathercourt

fathercourt Senior Member

IGN:
    fathercourt
    I'm pretty sure you can all answer these questions yourself. What Lemo is trying to say is if someone, for example, is saying "no support" on a suggestion and they explain their reasoning and you feel the same way, there is absolutely no need for you to say it again - it has already been said. Same goes for applications I suppose. You see that rating that says "agree" with a green tick? Put it to use!

18. Elric

Elric Well-Known Member

It was a joke, hence the troll face.

19. fathercourt

fathercourt Senior Member

IGN:
    fathercourt
    Perhaps others were thinking the same, let me answer their question before more people comment the same question. You see what I'm doing here?

20. clxrity

clxrity Experienced Member

IGN:
    clxrity
    I understand your reasoning. When you reply to a thread, however, it bumps it and brings it up to the recent posts (where more people can see it). So a simple "support" comment will make the thread more noticed, which when making a suggestion— don't you want Cyp to see it? With a lot of support replies it makes the thread more popular. It would be ridiculous to have to "bump" your suggestion every day because people aren't aloud to reply?

Now, if a person is just spamming a section with "support" within a short time frame (to the point where it's obvious they're post farming), I completely understand why you wouldn't want that.