Skyblock Skyblock Update - May 8th, 2020

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Noobcrew, May 8, 2020.

1. Noobcrew

Noobcrew Server Owner Server Owner Administrator

IGN:
    Noobcrew
    Skyblock Updates - May 8th, 2020

• Rendering light updates are now done async. Previously, small things like placing lava or activating redstone would have to update lighting for the chunk it's in and this could block the main server thread. Now it's done separately and should reduce some overall lag.
    • Steps are disabled from other players and some mobs.
    • Dispensing water/lava is slower in dispensers, will function around 1/2 times compared to before. (Being tested, this will likely be reverted soon)
    • Droppers will now slow down when containing items such as pork. Still moves rather quick, about 1 per second. This is to reduce the strain on the server from a dropper dispensing an item as quick as 5 times a second. Currently it's only pork, however we may add more items to this in the future.
    • Made login code within Spigot a tiny bit faster.
    • Player count raised from 125 to 150. (done a few days ago)

Please let us know if you experience any bugs or glitches.

• Like x 7
    • Amazing x 2
    • Cookie x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    I genuinely think the dropper thing with pork wasn't needed on .net because pig grinders aren't as pig because /shop doesn't exist. Thanks crew - I guess.

3. Monster_Sparklez

Monster_Sparklez Yee yee Bubba Premium Premium

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    There goes my stone generator well thanks crew

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. athyrix

athyrix Senior Member Premium

The server has coped so well with the increase of player count! Love that the server has been getting so many players lately! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Tysm crew! Tho I hope the player count gets increased to 175 or 200 cause I've seen some people complaining about their friends not being able to get on the server.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. fathercourt

fathercourt Senior Member

IGN:
    fathercourt
    I never comment on any of these things but with current circumstances surrounding global pandemic, a lot of individuals are experiencing more frequent free time and often are hoping to play the server to pass the time and remain ‘distracted’ if you will - I think having a player count of more than 150 would be more beneficial to the server and to other player’s sanity lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    Server handled 500 players many years ago, I think the player limit should be 200-250 is enough,

If Noobcrew can handle it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. fathercourt

fathercourt Senior Member

IGN:
    fathercourt
    i know ive been here since 2013 lol

9. WhatsUpDoc

WhatsUpDoc Eh What's Up Doc? Premium

IGN:
    WhatsUpDoc
    thanks crew! I'm very excited about the player count part, now my no rank friends can play xD

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. EDISONTECH

EDISONTECH Well-Known Member

IGN:
    EDISONTECH
    Yay! Thanks for the update!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. ProPorkOfficial

ProPorkOfficial Well-Known Member

IGN:
    ProPork
    One thing I found, when you join in the server the welcome message still says "Players online: (___/125) not (___/150)

• Cookie Cookie x 2
  12. Noobcrew

Noobcrew Server Owner Server Owner Administrator

IGN:
    Noobcrew
    We are trying our best, what we're hoping for is to get to a limit of 200 players soon.

I know it's easy to think that we went backwards in performance, holding 500 players to barely holding 150, but our biggest bottleneck is 1.12.2 itself.

Mojang really became careless about performance after version 1.8.8. Most networks know this and in fact some of the largest are only on 1.8, some even on 1.7. PvP is one of the reasons but in the community it's well aware how horrible performance is too and that's why most decided to not even update. Some mod items in to look like they're on a higher version (this is very limited) or some have done "sharded servers" to basically split the server into many small servers and combine certain aspects to look like one.

If we were on 1.8 today, we could likely be doing 700 players on a single server. Our hardware specs are insanely better than what we ran with 500, and there is a lot of performance improvements that we are aware of now that we didn't know back then. We don't want to do this however because we prefer to at least have a more updated variety of items and features to play with instead of just being stuck on a 5 year old version of Minecraft.

Things are slightly being improved after 1.15 but nothing significant (1.13/1.14 is way worse than 1.12), it is something we will hopefully look into more after more improvements. Though in regards to working with 1.12.2, we have to stay on it for awhile and to account for things we were previously not in control of, we are now modding Spigot itself, re-writing things such as how lighting works, making certain things async, and so forth to hopefully get to a higher max limit and with better performance. :)

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Amazing x 2
    • Cookie x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
  13. Monster_Sparklez

Monster_Sparklez Yee yee Bubba Premium Premium

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    I have found 2 bugs with /ads on skyblock, whenever you have an ad and try investing 1 or 3 grass it says you don't have 1 or 3 $ not grass in chat, 2nd bug whenever you write something in the description in one color it changes back to grey when it reaches a new line

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Craney100

Craney100 Experienced Member

IGN:
    Craney100
    It may need to be raised again, we were full earlier!

15. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    This one is definitely causing an issue for redstone devices that have this feature.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

As stated it will likely be reverted soon. Change machines or build temporary ones that don’t use this feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Yes. Drogo saw that but responded as Noobcrew’s message asked for feedback. The use of the term ‘likely’ suggests it is dependent on whether there are issues or not.
    To elaborate on the issue, the change seems to have randomised whether dispensers dispense or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  18. Louiemar

Louiemar Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Louiemar
    This is why its so hard to clear maparts now :(

True dad is been playing this game since 2013' AKA noobcrew

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2020
  19. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    It should be possible to use flying machines.
    ------
    If 1.16 helps with server performance I hope we can update to that as honey blocks will change technical skyblocking!

20. Dinglesplat

Dinglesplat Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    YESS
    I want honey blocks
    I want them badly
    I need them

• Agree Agree x 1