Skyblock Skyblock Update - July 28th, 2020

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Noobcrew, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Noobcrew

Noobcrew Server Owner Server Owner Administrator

IGN:
    Noobcrew
    Skyblock Updates - July 28th, 2020

• Redstone Limiter - We are now limiting the usage of redstone per chunk. If a chunk experiences over 1500 redstone fires within 10 seconds, the redstone within that chunk will be de-activated.
      Edit: Limit is now 1750 instead of 1500.

• A redstone fire is an event such as a piston retracting, a redstone torch blinking, a rail being activated, etc. And for those unaware, a chunk is a 16x16 distance.

If redstone within a chunk gets disabled, it could be re-activated after 60 seconds or will be disabled entirely, manually re-activating the redstone current will re-enable it. If the warnings are ignored and the redstone machine is not modified however, it will only continue to get blocked.

For those wondering, this change is because we have been experiencing non stop crashes and latency on Skyblock Survival recently and we believe it is connected to the increase of stone generator/redstone machines we have been seeing lately.

Massive redstone machines take a huge toll on how the server functions, having to process as much as 1000 redstone events in a split second for a single machine like it did before slows the server down, the server spends time having to process every redstone wire, piston, lighting update, and so forth when the server is trying to process other functions such as mob spawning, player movement, and other normal functions per tick. This is how redstone can make a tick last longer and in turn create a more laggy experience overall. With dozens of players have large extensive machines, there is times the server can basically overload and cease up causing a crash.

To decrease this in the past, we implemented limits on hoppers and spawners to minimize how large a machine/automated farm can get, along with an alt limit to limit to deal with players that then ended up creating smaller machines but on more accounts as a loophole. Now we are seeing more compact machines used for auto mining cobblestone.

Implementing this limit will hopefully decrease some lag and/or stop the server from crashing due to being overloaded.

Users that have small normal redstone machines for any use will likely never be affected and this will only limit machines that are too extreme. We may have to tweak this to find a middle ground as we go, however we cannot continue to run the server with horrible performance to satisfy those that are bots or have large automated processes. This will also be on Economy soon.

• Like x 3
    • Useful x 3
    • Informative x 2
    • Cookie x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  2. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    Thanks Crew
    I suppose
    (rip huge pistons doors)

3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Hoping this improves lag a good bit!
    I’m sure the people who run massive red stone machines will be able to find acceptable alternatives to ensure this doesn’t hurt them too much

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tog

Tog atpoaim Discord Moderator Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Togpuss
    Thanks for this Crew.
    1500 Redstone fires in one chunk still sounds like quite a lot. We all have to make sacrifices sometimes in life. I’m sure it will all be worth it in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Adriansop

Adriansop Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    Adriansop
    I'm not against this implementation. However, I think it did affect my slot machine. I woke up to a mail from someone telling me the machine broke. It breaks after a couple spins in a row now.

But perhaps I can find a fix for myself. Hope this update works out for the server.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  6. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    This limits small redstone contraptions as well.
    Will have to now run MORE redstone to split it to over more chunks.

Stone prices are about to go up!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Noobcrew

Noobcrew Server Owner Server Owner Administrator

IGN:
    Noobcrew
    The goal is for this not to limit small contraptions. Having a fast redstone clock could potentially flag this however. If you were limited, let us know the area/island and we can take a look. Posting it here is fine to do so.

8. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    It is a fast pulse that is triggering it. Drogo will search for a work around, although this was a work around itself for the lack of hoppers.

Drogo has tried to limit the redstone himself by having one pulse feeding several mechanisms but now has to move mechanisms to individual chunks, each with their own redstone pulse. Sooooo, more redstone.

So much work of Drogo's is undone by this change and currently the server is not suitable for anyone really interested in decent redstone creations.

Depending on where this middle ground ends up being, Skyblock may be dead for Drogo. This is a fundamental change to the game. It is no longer Minecraft, it is it's poorer cousin.

For those that enjoyed Drogo's mini game when it was open, know that it is possible that nothing like that will exist on this server again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Thanks Crew for the update! Hope this increases playability for majority of the players, I know a lot of people were sick of the 6 crashes a day.

Thanks for the hard work! :)

10. Craney100

Craney100 Experienced Member

IGN:
    Craney100
    Thanks for the update Crew.
    Hopefully this will decrease crashes and could be the solution :)

11. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Thanks crewww I hope this decreases the lag smh

12. lasagna

lasagna Member

Is this happening on economy also? TPS/lag seems non-issue there

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. iballisticbunny6

iballisticbunny6 Senior Member

IGN:
    SkyDwag

14. lasagna

lasagna Member

:dead F. Thanks though!

15. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

more redstone does not always mean more lag as when it is split between the chunks the separate chunks will have less workload

16. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo is by no means an expert but would have thought the overall workload of the server is greater.

17. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

i'm not exactly sure of it either, but i don't think that the amount of redstone firing per chunk -> lag is a linear increase

18. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    Not sure if this has been done yet but have you nerfed the rate of rotten flesh? There are many player grinders which spawn zombies and zombie pigmen. If haven't done so, is it possible to do this as well in the next update? Just a thought. Thanks in advance Crew! :p

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    Yes please ^^
    I only have over 20 dcs lying around :))

20. _joosuke

_joosuke Member

is my 2x2 piston door gonna be burt to a crisp?
    and my stone gen? eeeee yes bald.jpg