[Skyblock shop] Recode giftcard option

Discussion in 'Forums Suggestions' started by KhalDrogo, May 11, 2022.

1. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    A lot of giftcards are traded for in game items and once this is done, the seller of the gift card still has the code.
    In most cases this is not an issue but Drogo currently has $100 worth of giftcards he traded for and there are at least two others that know these codes as they have been on sold a couple of times.

It would be handy if the shop website offered a way to re-code the giftcards. It could be a matter of supplying the code and an email address and clicking 'recode' at which point the existing code is invalidated and the new code is emailed out.

The easiest way to do this might be to enable people to pay for giftcards with giftcards but only for those values that aren't discounted.

• Support Support x 28
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
    Last edited: May 11, 2022
  2. luka

luka macdondalds Moderator Premium

IGN:
    Houzo
    Always a bit skeptical when handling gift cards... Would be nice to have that extra step of security to ensure that what you're paying for is what you're actually getting.

3. Xstevey

Xstevey Active Member

IGN:
    Stevecracking90s
    same. Gonna have to go through a lot of trouble to get back your money if you get scammed by a player. I've only ever traded a gc once and it was an on spot trade cause we were both in a hurry and we never met each other before so it was awkward but I ended up paying first. Lucky it went well but it sucks having to be cautious all the time. Support!

4. Queen

Queen Well-Known Member

IGN:
    QueenxAlex
    yes drogy big fat support!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Cookie Cookie x 1
  5. xphstos37

xphstos37 Experienced Member

NO SUPPORT, Queenie called you “drogy”!!!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  6. GAWDFADDA

GAWDFADDA Member

IGN:
    gawdfadda
    i like using books that ive signed and reciepted w codes so its notin someoneones email but this isa good idea!

7. skaM

skaM Well-Known Member

As a frequent seller of gift cards you can choose the gmail you would like the code sent to however this example only works if you are buying to sell but I feel like if you are buying from a trusted and reputable player it shouldn't be a problem.

8. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Often sellers are top voters so they could be complete unknowns.

9. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Bumping this suggestion. Drogo feels it would increase gift card trade which would clearly benefit players and the server.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Bossgamer

Bossgamer Super Moderator Super Moderator

IGN:
    Bossyy
    I’ve never traded gift cards myself before so could be completely missing the point here so please correct me if I’m wrong at any point.

I like this idea a lot and support, but it would need to be scam proof in some way, otherwise the problem would just be vice versa. For example, the original gift card owner could trade it, and then type in the code and email to recode the coupon once they received the traded items from the other party, invalidating the original code that was originally traded.

I imagine enabling users to buy gift cards with gift cards at standard price, like you said, would probably counter this problem to some extent though. Or if there was a way to gift a gift card to the other player using their email that sends out a new code so that the original owner wouldn’t know the new code once traded.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Yes, would need to be scam proof as that is the intent of the suggestion. As it is now gift card trading opens the door for scams that cannot be traced as once two people know the code, there is no way to prove who uses it.
    If Drogo trades grass for a gift card, and is able to recode he is the only one with the new code, there is a small window for the other party to use or recode the card them self but this would quickly be evident.
    The main concern is gift cards that have gone through a few different owners and are being held on to until required. As there is no traceability as to who actually uses the card, the practice of trading gift cards is risky.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. LeoSteel

LeoSteel Active Member

This is a Support. Reasonable suggestion, I personally haven't had a gift card fall through or be used in my possession even after multiple handlers. But its a nice security to have.

13. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    It appears that there has been an incident reported in where a gift card trade has occurred and the gift card has now been used, supposedly by someone other than the purchaser.

Drogo can't go into detail as he was not involved, but it would appear that the items were passed off by the recipient who is now banned, but the banned player cant be traced to anyone and the items are also now untraceable.

There is nothing to stop this sort of scam from occurring in the future, which adds further reason as to why this suggestion should be implemented.

Not only to protect the players trading but to also protect this source of income for the server.
    If players cannot trust gift card trade, that will likely mean less income for the server.

The recent redesign of the shop website would have been a good opportunity to put this in place.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  14. Beens

Beens Active Member Premium

IGN:
    BeensMC
    As someone who regularly deals with gift cards this seems like a nice safety blanket. Support!

15. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    Support please add a failsafe into the gift cards. As boss said, this would only reverse the problem but instead you can have an option to send gift cards with recoding only occurring upon delivery to the new owner. As of right now there is no way to get refunded unless you are purchased another gift card from someone else.

Considering some people pay real money for these, the theft of them is bordering into real life illegality and probably shouldn't be taken lightly. I've actually had a gift card I've been sold been resold off to someone else, but they did refund me and purchase a new gift card (told it was a mistake but could have just gotten caught with their hands in the cookie jar).

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  16. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Further need for this has come about due to a problem with the webstore. Drogo was trading grass for giftcards with Unburned_Toast but the trade required the codes emailed direct to Drogo’s email from the webstore. The webstore failed to email the codes when Toast bought them and staff gave the codes to Toast instead. So now theses codes are known by at least two other people and Toast can’t trade them with me. He’s now paid $100 for gift cards that he didn’t want.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  17. athena_x

athena_x Well-Known Member

IGN:
    creationism
    seems like a pretty fatal flaw on tebex’s part for not allowing at the very least a method to track the username that redeems a gift card in the first place.

the recent ‘redesign’ of the shop was also just a theme change, not even a custom theme at that. the theme is readily available to purchase on a variety of websites that sell minecraft-related items.

a feature such as this would require actual coding / programming. not sure if the server has anyone onboard who’d be capable of doing so, i cannot speak in that regard.

seems like a good idea in practice, it would still have its flaws however. it’d go a long way to even just be able to track gift cards in the first place.

that’s my 2 cents, support

18. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    I believe they can track who used the gift card but if that player is a random account who quickly and untraceably, passes on the purchased items, all they can do is ban that one account but they don’t really know who did it or where the items have gone.

The webstore update also no longer shows past purchases, only the money spent which is disappointing.

19. athena_x

athena_x Well-Known Member

IGN:
    creationism
    doesn’t that defeat the entire purpose of having a logging plugin if items cannot be tracked though? if they know both the username who redeemed the giftcard & the time at which it was redeemed, why aren’t staff able to track the items using logging?

it should be possible to view all actions of the user, including commands, block placement, and item drops/pickups.

so how/why is it untraceable when that’s literally what the log plugin is meant to do?

the whole concept seems a bit odd to me.

20. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    I’m not sure how much is logged. If the scammer dropped the items at a random island that the receiver flew to, no /visit, no /tp… commands, simply picked them up could it be traced? I can’t imagine they would log all items in and out of players inventories.
    But they would surely be able to narrow it to a couple players that knew the code.