[Singapore - Moderator] Chewy

Discussion in 'Denied Applications' started by Enderchew, Apr 12, 2014.

?

Do you think I will make a suitable T-mod?

1. Support

88.6%
  2. No support

11.4%
  1. Enderchew

Enderchew Active Member

Hello all, I'm Kai Ming.

Firstly, I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to everyone reading this thread for spending time to read this application. After having so much encouragement and support from my fellow skyblock friends in game and on the forums to be a moderator, taking a step to apply to become a moderator has been taken into deep consideration. Time spent, self ability and all aspects have been taken into consideration before I have made this application.

Your in game name: Enderchew

What time-zone are you in? GMT+8

What languages do you speak? Mainly English and Chinese. Most people living around Asia also speaks these common languages.

Have you ever been banned? Never.

Why do you think you should be a mod? Firstly, the key reason that drove me to writing this application is because of the time gap between USA, Europe and Australia. At most peak hours in game, I noticed that there are usually no moderators online due to timezone differences.

Another driving force behind this moderator application is that I have observed that most of the moderator team lives in Eastern Australia, Europe or the United States. This calls for attention to one thing - the gap of timezones between Europe and East Australia - who is going to serve the community then? What this results in is a series of cry for help. As we all know, rule breakers are always there. Scams, griefs, looting of islands usually occurs at moments when moderators are offline, and sometimes go past unnoticed. Next, another urging factor that drove me to become a moderator because I believe that becoming a moderator will open more doors for me to serve the community.

The third compelling reason of why I should be a moderator because I strongly believe in 3 values - Faith, Service and Community. Faith - to believe in the potential of every skyblock player, regardless of being a donor or a non-donor. Service - to give back to the people I love, as a servant to the last, the lost and the least. Community - the happiness, thoughts and opinions of the players are seen equal, respected, and always welcome. As part of a LaSallian school in Singapore, the values taught to us by our founder, has inspired me to be someone like him, giving himself in service to others, and helping those in need. Not only had these three values taught me to be a giving, generous and helpful person in real life, these values also taught me to apply what I have learnt in the virtual world as well. These values has taught me and empowered me to put the needs of the community before the needs for oneself. Also, these values have enabled my actions, thoughts, words and deeds to always be for the goodness and benefit of all. I did apply to be a mod because of the perks, but because of these three values that urged me to apply to become a moderator, helping the community in every way possible, be it helping players solve certain issues, or helping the fill in the peak hour gaps between time zones for moderators.

Another reason why I should be a mod is because of my ability to apply what I have learnt. Application is a hard thing, and I believe, I am able to do it. I can boldly say, that I have not memorised the all the rules of the server, all the prices of every item, or the list of illegal items, but what is more important than that, and what I believe I possess, is the ability to apply. There's a saying that goes, "I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times"-[Bruce Lee]. This quote, in the context of skyblock, means that applying one concept, which I will be mentioning later, is better than memorising and knowing all the rules. Application in situations is the solution, instead of memorising rules and thinking "wait, does this rule exist?". Application is derived from the "cause and effect", and I do have this mentality, and this attribute makes up a strong foundation of why I should become a moderator. The "cause", is defined as the situation you are in, and "effect" refers to the impact of this particular situation. An example of "cause and effect" at a level I issue is seen in:

Topic sentence: Griefing - is it illegal?

The cause: Greifing
    The effect: Owner of island feels that his/her hard work has gone to nothing, possibly quit skyblock

Therefore, Griefing can be easily be classified as illegal, because it destroys the work of others, and creates a negative impact on the community. The "cause and effect" has enabled me to easily draw a line between what is "legal", and what is "illegal". I believe that this attribute of application in situations would help enable me to become a good moderator, particularly in situations whereby there is grey area of what is legal and what is illegal. Notably in level II issue below:

Topic sentence: Grass, or grass?

Cause: Players trade grass instead of grass blocks for items
    Effect: Opposition trader will be at a loss, considered as a scam

Without application of the "cause and effect" concept, this issue would put most at a stop. Technically, the trade is not considered as scamming, but ironically at the same time, a scam. No where in the rules have stated whether this is allowed or not, and players can easily bypass it without a ban. Therefore, I see a need for application, instead of memorising server rules, because applying what I know, will be the most helpful to situations where there are grey areas between legal and illegal, and make the right judgement on the spot. Thus I feel that I should be a mod because of my strong foundation of applying in situations.

How long can you be on the server everyday? I am able to clock in about 4 - 8 hours everyday, which is also the essential time gap between Europe and Eastern Australia. I hope that I would be able to help the staff team moderate the gap between these time zones.

Past experiences as a moderator? I do have past experiences as a moderator in other fields of areas, but I would not mention any. I strongly believe that I shouldn't post any past experiences as I believe that I should not be supported for a moderator because of my experience or achievements as a moderator, but because of my love, willingness and passion to serve the community.

Final words: I can be writing on and on for hours and days, but however, no matter how much I write, the decision is up to you - the community of skyblock players. Please do comment in the thread below whether you support or do not support this thread. I would like to open this thread to a freedom of free articulation of ideas and opinion. Also, I would like to thank you for making skyblock.net for being such a wonderful place to be in. I hope that you would support me in my journey to be a moderator, not because of my achievements, but because of my wish, my passion, and my devotion to serve and to help the community. You have my word for it, and I will never go back on my words. This is only just the beginning. Life's a never ending journey.
    Before I end off my application, I would like to conclude with a powerful conclusion: "YOU CAN take me away from skyblock, BUT YOU CAN NEVER take skyblock away from my heart".
    Thank you and I look forward to meeting you in-game.

Regards,
    Kai Ming

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. War_

War_ Well-Known Member

Good app I Support :)

3. Amazing_General

Amazing_General Member

Are those your school values and you just copied then? :t
    Anyway, support :)

4. Enderchew

Enderchew Active Member

Hi, all I would like to say is, any coincidence or similarity to threads is purely coincidental. I have not read Artie's mod app before. All these are just what I speak from the heart and what i really feel :) Dont need to turn it around if you do not want to support. Thank you for your honest feedback!

This thread is similar to iNBK's because I am iNBK(before it got hacked). However, some bits have changed in this app :)
    U can check out my previous application, but do not comment. I'm requesting for a mod to lock it

bkleinman1 : [Singapore] iNBK application to be a moderator | Skyblock Forums
    This thread was made earlier than Artie's

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  5. SSMH

SSMH Well-Known Member

100% support

6. andrewswj

andrewswj Active Member

You are a very great person that is dedicated to helping others. Your fiery passion for justice and righteousness along with the values of honesty and kindness has left me confident that you would make an excellent moderator. I've known you for a long time and I must say that you are very mature and know how to stand up for yourself and others. The time zone we are in allows you to be there to get rid of all the rule breakers. You have been dedicating your past few months on this server into helping people, and you are a great role model for others. You know how to take the appropriate action and screenshot griefs so that other mods can handle the problem. If you become a moderator, you would be able to solve the countless problems on the spot. I wish you the best of luck in becoming a moderator, and I give you my fullest support.
    -Andrew

7. Smouse

Smouse Well-Known Member

impeccable application. Try helping a little more in-game and you'll do great

8. bkleinman1

bkleinman1 Experienced Member

Thanks for clearing it up :)

I support, very well written application.

I will also lock your old thread for you as requested :)

9. CoffeeForLife

CoffeeForLife Member

Support Chewy : - )

10. ScumbagSteveFTW

ScumbagSteveFTW New Member

Enderchew Has Helped Me Out And Will Help Me Out Whenever Help Is Needed ( Just Realized that sounds like hes a superhero ) He will be a great mod and I 100% Support! :)

11. Smouse

Smouse Well-Known Member

You dislike my feedback? I dislike yours :eh

12. Enderchew

Enderchew Active Member

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding here...
    ScumbagSteveFTW, Portgas D. Ace's comment meant well. What he meant was that this application is impeccable, which means that it is "in accordance to the highest standards;faultless". He also did mention that it'll do great if I helped more in-game. Technically, he is supporting my thread, as well as giving some feedback, perhaps he does not see me helping much, which I do all the time incognito. :)

Portgas D. Ace, one disliking your comment does not mean you should dislike his comment. We shouldn't take revenge on others. After all, "an eye for an eye, makes the whole world go blind". ScumbagSteve disliked your comment most probably because he does not think that I do not help at all, because I do help others, and I've helped him out recently. Let's be more understanding and more forgiving on this issue :)

I think there is a slight miscommunication on this issue. Let's be more understanding people. None of you were in the wrong, so if you were to just un-dislike each other's comments, that would do great and resolve this issue C: Thanks.

13. Smouse

Smouse Well-Known Member

Thank you for clearing that up Chew.
    Some people need to learn what words mean before they comment.

14. Demoniiiic_

Demoniiiic_ Experienced Member

IGN:
    Demoniiiic_
    80% Support :3 Nice application, and I've seen you helping in-game. I'll keep watching for that 20%, good luck. :>

15. ShiningNova06

ShiningNova06 Well-Known Member

Full shapport, but wai you gotta be a skygod before mehh? Lol jks haha :)

16. Hirbet1234

Hirbet1234 Well-Known Member

No support as there isnt enough detail as why you should be a MOD and also you are using the timezone thing to show that you should be a MOD but when i am on i also see you on so and I'm GMT

17. Enderchew

Enderchew Active Member

Okay, so maybe you didn't quite get where I'm coming from. Let's clear some things up. Reading and understanding what you have written, you have brought up 2 very good points:
    1. You said I am using difference in timezone to become mod.
    2. I'm using GMT difference as an advantage.

Thank you for writing that comment. It has brought up some very good points which I would like to answer.
    Addressing the first issue, the details of why I should be a mod is all mentioned inside my application, its just that you may have perhaps misread it. Below are highlighted facts of why I should be a moderator. The only reason why I didn't write that much because, I feel that firstly, there is no point writing down "special qualities". I believe that if I had made a difference in the community, it means that the community have seen something special in me. I daresay, none should have the audacity to write down personal qualities, for what I that, is self praise. One's personal qualities is judged by the community, and not based on what I think I have.

Addressing the second issue, I'm living in GMT+8, not in GMT. I live in Singapore(asia) and you live in Britain. We live at the opposite ends of the earth. Therefore you do not see me online most of the times. I have seen you online before though. Another reason why you never seen me online because you haven't been on for the past few days.
    [​IMG]
    You also mentioned that I am taking advantage of the GMT issue to become a mod. Well, the difference in timezone, is just a factor that pushed me to become a mod. There are almost 0 moderators moderating my timezone area, which was why I have decided to take a step forward to become one to help the community. The intention of this was not because I am using GMT timezone differences of WHY i should be a mod, but rather because I would love to serve the community, especially since the community needed help.

Hope this clears some things up.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  18. Hirbet1234

Hirbet1234 Well-Known Member

Yes i know i have not been online but that is because there was a problem with my computer. So therefore i couldn't get on. I am sending this via my ipad. It should be fixed tomorrow

19. Enderchew

Enderchew Active Member

Is my reasoning above still going to make you unsupport? Please don't feel obliged to change what you feel about me. :)

20. Henry Gulliver

Henry Gulliver Member

Very nice app I support for chewy :)