Regarding Profile Pictures

Discussion in 'Discussions Archive' started by Cheshrawr, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Cheshrawr

Cheshrawr Well-Known Member

Herro~ Recently as few may know there has been a few cases of people using profile pictures in a way they shouldn't be, using someone else's picture within the community as their picture.

tl;dr
    Don't use someone elses picture without their permission~
    Edit: This applies if current and old/ex players of the community.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  2. Chiyami

Chiyami Experienced Member

was fun while it lasted

3. Cheesy

Cheesy Senior Member

Lol

4. Agent

Agent not really an agent Premium

IGN:
    Agentyy
    Thanks for the thread, Chibi :--)

5. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    g r o s s

6. DarthBread

DarthBread Experienced Member

Throwback to tyler

7. Yazlur

Yazlur Active Member

Go chibi :heart:

8. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Indeed. There is no loop hole you can abuse here either. Moderators will know who's using another community members picture as their own and are within their rights to ask you to remove it or request removal by force.

This solution is better than the other possible solution which would include stopping the use of all profile pictures which are of people (famous or your own self).
    If the community starts to abuse privileges, everyone suffers when the rules need to change to stop the wrong from happening.

9. Hoecobo

Hoecobo Senior Member

Unless it's like an irl picture that someone wrote mean stuff on, I don't see why people can't steal other's profile photos. It's well within the rules and doesn't fall under disrespect at all. I could just start using your profile photo for example and it's fully within the rules. I would argue that it doesn't even fall under the common sense rule. Anyways mods aren't allowed to make rules we've had a long discussion about this awhile ago. Unless Cyp or Crew come outright and say it isn't allowed it's completely allowed.

10. Cheshrawr

Forum Infraction System | Skyblock Forums

11. Hoecobo

Hoecobo Senior Member

Inappropriate profile pictures. Like posting a picture of something graphic would fall under that. It doesn't talk about stealing other people's profile pictures anywhere in there.

Btw I'm not arguing that whatever Tyler did awhile ago was allowed. Stealing the profile picture for instance would be allowed, but he wrote rude things all over it before posting it and that would fall under verbal disrespect. I would be able to start using your profile picture though, and there's no rules against me using it. Even if you physically own the image I would be allowed to use it legally. At most I would just have to give credit if you created the photo.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  12. Dewsiee

Dewsiee Boss Member

For the most part, if you're using someone's IRL photo, of them even if it's photo shopped, it's still disrespectful.
    I don't think it's considered for example If were to take anime picture from Larry's profile and use it. Since she doesn't fully own the image I could use it.
    It might not follow under the forums rules, but I know with almost all artist if you don't give credit to them making a piece of art, it's probably one of the most disrespectful things you could do to an artist. So giving credit is a plus also adding watermarks to your image is one way to fix things from being taken.

13. Hoecobo

Hoecobo Senior Member

So is that it for this thread? Not a rule?

14. luckynumber56

luckynumber56 Well-Known Member

I'm going to assume I have the gist, you shouldn't use another person's picture because its like impersonation, which is a nono. Pretty simple to get, kind of unnecessary thread imo.
    Won't stop people from using a picture someone else has because they want to though.

15. TortoiseSpeed

TortoiseSpeed Well-Known Member

agree

16. Kang_Da!

Kang_Da! Active Member

It's illegal to use another persons picture without his/her permission. Not only on Skyblock. You can actually sue people because they use your face.

And I think it's a general rule: If it's illegal in real life, it's illegal on forums (which is technically still in real life but meh)

EDIT: Oh didn't read the tl;dr part. But you really should take this serious because you can actually get sued for something like this. At least it's a law in Austria.

17. Stel

Stel Guest

18. Hoecobo

Hoecobo Senior Member

Are you talking like full blown identity theft? I can't find what Austrian law you're talking about.

19. Jess

Jess Senior Member

IGN:
    beautiiful
    I don't think that's true. I reported OfficerWade twice for extortion and he wasn't even given a warning when you could server jail time for that.

20. Cheshrawr

Regardless of all of the discussion, this is a punishable offense since it can fall under these rules. If you don't think it is or not, anyone doing this will be punished. Just don't say you weren't informed