Skyblock Preventing Mapart Reselling (feat. others) (updated)

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by PCcoolguy100, May 18, 2020.

1. PCcoolguy100

PCcoolguy100 Senior Member

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Suggestion 1:

My suggestion is making an NBT tag (or a lore) referring to who made a map, and if you can Resale it or not.

It goes something like this:
    upload_2020-5-19_10-9-43.png or upload_2020-5-19_10-10-2.png
    This is a proof of concept - just replace phr33z with %player% or something. I didn't code a plugin, I don't know how to

There should be an option to do this by say, right clicking the map or by entering a command /resale. This should not be, at all, hard to code, as to make these I just edited the NBT to add colour codes - something that Essentials (in this server) has support for.

This'll make life easier for both people who make mapart and also for people who want to resale mapart, say a mapart reseller wants to resell a certain mapart made by someone else - this will tell them if they can or can't.

I unfortunately also think that this will not affect maps made previously to a plugin like this being introduced, which is unfortunate as older maps are most affected by unconsented reselling.

Maps marked "Not for Resale" will also not be allowed to be used on a tradeshop or copied, unless it's used on a tradeshop made by the creator or copied by the creator - not sure how hard it is to edit the tradeshop plugin but it'd be great, I'd also expect slighty hard.

Another thing to do is that if a map owner types /resale (or whatever it will be) it will update all copies of the map across the server - this will cause a tonne of lag however.

Suggestion 2: Adriansop's suggestions published by WhatsUpDoc

You could put a mapart and a name tag in a crafting table to make the mapart un-copyable.

This essentially makes a crafting recipe that makes maps uncopyable, and I will say it's definitely a lot more simple than my own suggestion ^_^

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Support Support x 34
    • Neutral Neutral x 3
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  2. Archie38

Archie38 Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Archie38
    FULL SUPPORT

Cmon anti-resellers, this is what we need. Great idea PC, cant stress enough how much i want to see this. Maybe splat will try to make a little army against it, but I hope this gets added.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dinglesplat

Dinglesplat Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    This. Is. Brilliant. Support 101%.

Literally, its very little, but subtle enough to work.

It would very easily prevent mapart resale, and would be very efficient, making it very clear if you want it to be resold or not.

4. Splat1221

Splat1221 Active Member

IGN:
    SplatBerry
    Especially the who made it, very nice support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. UrsusMaiorus

UrsusMaiorus Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Ursusmaiorus
    support full pls add this

6. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Neutral. Mainly cause of the lag part it might make as the developers are trying to decrease the lag, not increase it. Also, it might make things a bit more complicated when it comes to tradeshops as you stated. But I dont mind if it gets added

7. WhatsUpDoc

WhatsUpDoc Eh What's Up Doc? Premium

IGN:
    WhatsUpDoc
    support, please implement this :)

8. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    The only part that will lag is updating all the maps - that's it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

Big support for this, right now there seems to be what I call a 'grey area' around map arts and reselling and etc. . . Where it is not a 100% defined actual rule but it really should be, so players get very heated when they see people selling maparts. Like the governments and making laws about new technology they don't understand, lol. Grey area.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Vorty

Vorty Well-Known Member

IGN:
    VortextRAM
    Full support, when i thought of making it bannable i was thinking something like this would stop it, but also what if people just Copy the map, they'd have to make sure it would transfer the nbt data(I'm sure our great developers could figure a way)

11. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Of course. There will obviously be bugs discovered and ways will be found to go around the plugin, but those are patchable if it's reported.

Every map (to my knowledge) has a "seed" - this seed is pretty much the numbered order that every map was created. The seed is essentially this number:
    upload_2020-5-19_16-11-55.png

Something can & will be done about it :p

Attached Files:

12. RedstoneTrails

RedstoneTrails Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    RedstoneTrails
    My main concern, as you noted, would be updating all other maps on the server if you wanted to change resale to sale. Trying to change all maps to match your setting would require scanning player inventories, chests/other storage units, enderchests, and item frames. To my understanding, you can't effectively scan those async or in any sort of timely manner, as every player file and every region file would need to be looked through, many of which are constantly changing and updating.

If we ignored this, and just made it so you had to manually update the tag for each map, it'd be much more straightforward. The rest of what you stated wouldn't be difficult to implement, and wouldn't take too much work.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  13. arxh

arxh Well-Known Member

IGN:
    arxh__
    Full Support,
    please implement xD

14. boba

boba modern manifesto Premium

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    Support,

Hope our awesome developers can add this.

15. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    Full Support! (It doesn't even need a plugin but we don't really use commands)

16. PCcoolguy100

IGN:
    PCcoolguy100
    Yes it does (need a plugin). My thing was only proof of concept.

I feel like a way to dodge this lag is by instead of forcing everything to refresh when someone types /resale (or something similar), is by making only a single map refresh/sync to the original map whenever it's picked up, taken out of a chest, yknow, updating inventory. The only way this could cause lag is if someone opened a chest full of unrefeshed maps, but then again, this is only a second of lag. It will not affect gameplay.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 19, 2020
  17. Kai123

Kai123 What?

IGN:
    Kai123
    Supporrrtttt
    This is very needed and very inventive, PC :)

18. dejongJR21

dejongJR21 Member

IGN:
    dejongJR21
    Support, its brilliant we really need something like this!!!

19. LordWhaley

LordWhaley Member

IGN:
    LordWhaley
    Support. I think it would be nice to see who made the map and very helpful preventing resale so people can't buy a map and resell it for more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Craney100

Craney100 Experienced Member

IGN:
    Craney100
    This would be really useful - as someone who has begun to make map art it would definitely make you feel more reassured that your map art is not being unknowlingly resold without your permission.
    100% Support

(Might also be a nice touch to add the date the map was created!)

• Agree Agree x 3