Prevent users from typing phone numbers in chat

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions Archive' started by ElectroTom, Nov 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectroTom

ElectroTom Well-Known Member

IGN:
    ElectroTom
    • Support Support x 5
    • Neutral Neutral x 2
    • No Support No Support x 2
  2. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Support, it would be helpful especially when it comes to people trying to share their's or anyone else's phone numbers in the chat.

3. Monster_Sparklez

Monster_Sparklez Yee yee Bubba Premium Premium

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    How would this work? What if someone is typing just numbers like sales information anything that has to do with numbers that is not to do with phone numbers it could also block that out which would be very annoying

I suggest moderators have access to the command like /clearchat or some command long the nature of that, this would prevent people from posting phone numbers but also allow people so post regular numbers for any other stuff

Going neutral for now

4. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    I doubt that any sales information or so has 9-11 digits (considering a phone number has 11 digits)

5. ElectroTom

IGN:
    ElectroTom
    Phone numbers, normally have a specific format, which could be used to identifiy them against normal numbers.

6. 52Phenomenon

52Phenomenon Super Moderator Super Moderator Events Manager

IGN:
    52Phenomenon
    Support.

I hope we can prevent occurrences such as the phone number incident yesterday from happening again.

7. BennyDonut

BennyDonut Active Member Premium

IGN:
    BennyDonut
    Support, Skyblock should be a server that is enjoy among all and we should not have to worry about numbers being leak. I agree we should add a filter that when someone try to leak a phone number they are stopped right away like filter system to the swearing.

8. athyrix

athyrix Senior Member Premium

Support, we take this case extremely serious and this should not be happening! No one should even be thinking of doing this, but unfortunately some people do so we must take the precautions to prevent it from happening again. :)

9. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    Support,

Years ago I saw a Russian Hacker saying someone's phone number in the chat, then the Hacker got banned.

This isn't a joke.

10. Leeeroieee

Leeeroieee Well-Known Member Premium

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    I get that there was an incident involving a phone number, but it could just as easily have been a real name, home address, school name, their photo, or other personally identifiable information.

We have players from all over the world and phone number formats vary widely. How will the filter be able to distinguish between dates such as 12-25-2018, phone numbers like (212) 555-1234 or +1 212 555-1234 or coordinates like 3014 199 3589?

Just blocking any sequence of numbers that might possibly be a phone number seems like an extreme solution that is likely to create more problems than it solves.

11. Alcala09PlaysMC

Alcala09PlaysMC Active Member

IGN:
    Alcala09
    Neutral,

This is a great idea but don't take this the wrong way.

This addition might turn skyblock chat into Roblox filter

Sometimes I type coords for boat traveling or flying to certain islands, this filter could remove just typing numbers.

If there's a way to figure out which is a phone number or coords, I'll switch to support.

12. lowfps10

lowfps10 Active Member

IGN:
    lowfps10
    I love this idea, but I don't know if this is possible. If I want to type a 10 digit number, I should be able to type it without it being blocked by the filter. The filter could allow is to type a 10 digit number, but this would make the filter completely useless as it would be way too easy to bypass.

13. HuskyKiing

HuskyKiing Member

IGN:
    HuskyKiing
    I don't know if this is entirely possible w/o bugs and glitches, but I support it.

14. Splat1221

Splat1221 Active Member

IGN:
    SplatBerry
    Same thing. Neutral because cordanets but support for Privacy, and just using discord/Skype etc.
    Overall, neutral.

15. ItsRed

ItsRed Well-Known Member

IGN:
    HeyItsRed
    Alcala basically said everything i wanted to

"Roblox Filter" friggin Alcala man

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  16. Splat1221

Splat1221 Active Member

IGN:
    SplatBerry
    Laughing out loud, funny, tho agreed xD.

17. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    Neutral. I understand the idea behind this but what if the number given is a fake number?

Here's a great example. When people say what's my number or when I ask people if they want it, I give them this phone number of the FBI-LA division number. Or I give them a random police department number?

Lee that was probably the most fascinating thing you said today, not that you haven't but you proved my point by 400 times :heart:

18. Jesus Christ

Jesus Christ Active Member

IGN:
    i_am_youtuber
    Pretty much exactly what I was thinking, the whole ip blocker thing is annoying enough and that doesn't even trigger too often (if your have that problem here, not sure). All this would really do is over complicate things.

no support

19. ElectroTom

IGN:
    ElectroTom
    If input masks cannot be used to achive this, then maybe the suggestion of /clear chat could be better for future incidents?

20. Leeeroieee

Leeeroieee Well-Known Member Premium

IGN:
    Leeeroieee
    Neither censoring anything that might be a phone number using an input filter, nor relying on staff to decide at a moment's notice whether to clear chat seems like a sensible approach.

There are too many legitimate reasons for players to want to share things that look like they might be phone numbers but aren't, or that even might really be a phone numbers, such as the phone number for a suicide prevention hotline, or for Mojang support.

Even in the case where the context suggests a phone number might belong to a player, anyone can post random digits in chat and claim it's their phone number or someone else's just to troll people. It's not like staff are in a position to verify whether phone numbers are real or belong to anyone in particular, certainly not within the kind of timeframe where clearing chat would make any difference. Scrambling to clear chat as soon as a staff member sees something that might be a phone number just in case is extremely disruptive and doesn't help since every player has their own local chat logs anyway. And staff can't always be online to monitor chat.

I get that this means a lot to you, but please understand we can't always protect people from themselves. Not everyone minds sharing information about themselves online. There's a whole thread nearly 500 pages long with people sharing IRL photos of themselves. You or I may think it's unwise for someone to do so and may choose not to do so ourselves, but it's not our place to make that decision for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.