Implemented Make staff bans etc. private by default.

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions Archive' started by KhalDrogo, Jan 2, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo's previous suggestion was closed as it was already in place however it added information such that a more appropriate suggestion can be made.

So that staff don't accidentally draw attention to breeches of personal data, Drogo suggests that ban alerts be private by default.
    These bans need to happen swiftly so it is understandable that the extra step to private might be missed so it makes sense that the extra step be used when making them public.

As it turns out, the credit card details that were leaked were valid.
    upload_2023-1-2_18-40-39.png
    Drogo shall use the name and address to find and alert the credit card owner and suggest he/she cancel the card and get a new one.

• Support Support x 4
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
  2. Megan

Megan Experienced Member Premium

IGN:
    Meggann
    I do see valid content within the suggestion. Having bans silenced by default would mean there is one less field to remember when issuing a punishment and can bring less attention to it. As you mention in your post, it is very easy to miss things. On the whole, we are pretty good at silencing but it's certainly forgotten (by me) sometimes. Chat can get extremely hectic and we panic probably just as much as the player who shared any personal details etc.
    As I mentioned in the previous post, it is nice to be able to choose between the two. For example, yesterday I received several reports for 2 users on Economy. I issued their ban publicly so the handful of reporters were able to see necessary action had been taken and that the users would no longer be bothering them.

I do support this suggestion with the condition that the silence can be disconnected from the punishment on an ad-hoc basis.

3. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Drogo is definitely happy for the public announcements, just easier control for the critical ones like this.
    Drogo also adds to this suggestion that certain phrases such as "credit card" and "cvv" prompt the blocking of the entire message.

4. Awesomolocity

Awesomolocity Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Awesomolocity
    Fully support the suggestion in the title.
    Neutral (leaning towards support) on the quoted section only because I think there's a chance it can stifle genuine conversation that isn't doxxing / leaking CC info in an annoying way.

5. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    I agree, using mute to avoid leaking of CC details could be tricky to avoid unintended mutes. CVV really has one meaning. Perhaps the phrase “credit card” AND long strings of numbers together. It might be too difficult and it doesn’t happen often. It was more just a thought if it was easy enough to implement.

6. Dexuby

Dexuby Active Member

IGN:
    Dexuby
    Will be silent by default on 1.19.x.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.