OCE Lycel's Moderator Application

Discussion in 'Accepted Applications' started by Lycel, Jul 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lycel

Lycel Senior Member

IGN:
    Lycel
    [​IMG]
    Myrmidous-style recommended listening: Parrot by Stepdad

Introduction
    .....I am Lycel. I'm 16 years of age and going into my first year of a combined Bachelor of Arts (Linguistics) and Science (Ecology/Evolutionary Biology) in March. I spend my spare time playing Dungeons and Dragons, drawing punderful comics, bird watching, or practising and enjoying my various instruments. I also spend a lot of it reading, learning and researching things that take my interest. I was a moderator on Skyblock for a year overall throughout 2015 before resigning due to school. This is no longer an issue, as I have graduated.

.....Grey text in size 3 font are notes that are unnecessary but ones I wanted to include nonetheless. I am taking this application seriously, but I couldn’t help adding in a few comments here and there.

What's your in-game name?
    Lycel is both my nick and in-game name. This is consistent across all of time and space.
    My IGN was Loz_and_rach in 2014 before players could change their names.

What time zone are you in?
    During summer (now), Australian Central Daylight Time (ACDT) UTC+10:30.
    This is 14-17 hours and 30 minutes ahead of most American times and 10 hours and 30 minutes ahead of the United Kingdom.

What country do you live in?
    The Commonwealth of Australia.
    Specifically, the state of South Australia.

What languages do you speak?
    .....I speak English fluently, as well as French and Australian Sign Language competently. I can have full conversations in all of them. I sincerely doubt the last one will come in handy on a text and audio based server, but you never know.
    .....This is fair dinkum, true blue English, so forgive my 'Strine. Also, my super power is the ability to read basic Romantic languages without knowing the language beforehand.

Do you have 2FA enabled?
    Yes.​

Do you have the necessary means of capturing evidence?
    Yes - F2 for screenshots and Bandicam for videos.

Why do you think you should become a moderator?
    .....I have changed over the past two years and hence I do not want to just link or copy my accepted applications.

.....I am genuinely a person who enjoys helping others. This is vital for a moderator, as if a moderator is not motivated to help, they will easily tire of their position. I’m sure many people write this as a quality, but about a year ago as part of my psychology course I had a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator administered by an organisational psychologist, revealing my INFP personality–the ‘mediator’. It is one renowned for caring, trying to find the good in all people and events, and having strong morals that lead to deep communication. I have been like this since I was little: always friends with both sides of the war and trying to defuse the situation. I’ve started with this because many of my traits result from my inherent personality–something that will not change over time.

.....I am a stable person. I am not prone to mood swings or sudden bursts of anger, and I never have been. This allows me to moderate for longer periods of time without becoming emotionally exhausted or letting out anger on undeserving Skyblockers. Dealing with players or situations that may be difficult is a lot easier and quicker when one keeps calm. It is also an important trait to have when working in a team, as most fallouts within colleagues occur, from my experience, when emotions run high. Emotional control is paramount to cooperation, and cooperation is paramount to effective moderation.
    .....Disclaimer: while not neurotic, I do have emotions. Allegedly.

.....Finally, I am living in Australia. There's not a lot to be said here, as it's merely a fact: there is not a single moderator in all of Australasia, leaving UTC +7-12 sadly unmoderated. I almost never see a moderator online when I'm online in the evenings, which makes playing during my own time zone a lot less enjoyable. It's an extraordinarily different time zone, being quiet and peaceful and yet containing some of the most unique players, so it's a true shame to see it go neglected in terms of moderation.​

Past Moderation Experience
    Apologies for this section being long, but I believe it is the primary reasoning for me to be a mod.
    .....I've spent nearly 12 months moderating Skyblock.net. I was a moderator for 5 months from 5th of November 2014 to the 14th of April 2015. I was then demoted, before being repromoted on the 28th of July, and stayed a moderator until my resignation on the 23rd of December, for my final 6 months. All this experience means I am well acquainted with Skyblock moderation, from commands to how to deal with more demanding situations.

.....In real life, I partake in activities that involve leadership, mentoring, dedication, and community commitment. Since my third year, I have been on my schools’ Student Representative Councils, resulting in seven years of experience as a board member, reasoning and discussing potential improvements for the schools. I am a member of a German Brass Band, requiring volunteering for fundraisers and consistent attendance at performances and practices. This organisation requires me to work with people well outside my age bracket (being predominately 50+-year-olds), providing me with experience dealing with those who may not be similar to me.

.....I also mentored younger students in music throughout my former high school years. I was selected as the only year 8 (‘freshman’) student to attend a music camp designed to tutor disadvantaged rural primary school students in the magic of music. This required patience, dedication, and an aptitude for dealing with children, many of whom did not want to be taught at all (getting 10-year-olds to sing is an art). I was asked to attend this camp for the rest of my years at that high school, and was also chosen to mentor the younger high school students in music as I made my way into senior years. This mentoring has allowed me to develop tactics and strategies applicable to, for example, getting a new player started on their island, as well as teamworking skills that would allow me to better mentor and be mentored by my fellow staff members. A moderator can only learn so much on the job, and my experience as an involved community member has allowed me to gain the knowledge and skills required for moderation.
    .....I was also a scout troop leader and netball team captain (premiers!) and I currently volunteer to do ornithological research in my local reserve.

References
    How long can you be active on the server every day?
    PROPOSED "SHIFTS"
    My proposed hours for in-game moderation add up to an average of 2 hours and 17 minutes each day.
    ACDT+10.5......8pm - 10pm on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday (rarely moderated)​
    EST -5...........4:30am – 6:30am
    GMT +0........9:30am – 11:30am
    ACDT+10.5......10am – 12am on Monday - Friday (peak hour)
    EST -5...........6:30pm – 8:30pm (Sunday – Thursday)
    GMT +0........11:30pm – 1:30am (Sunday – Friday)
    This is subject to variation: my family may organise to do that "going outside" stuff on occasion.

GENERAL AVAILABILITY
    I am generally available through Discord or the forums during my waking hours below, barring Saturdays.
    ACDT+10.5.....8am – 11pm on all days except Saturday
    EST -5...........9:30pm – 12:30pm (all nights except Friday-Saturday)
    GMT +0........4:30pm – 7:30am (all nights except Friday-Saturday)

How long have you been playing Skyblock?
    I first joined in March of 2014, so 3 and a half years. I was not active for any of 2016, however.

Have you ever been banned in the past?
    Once, in-game, for my demotion (PM me for the story if you have any concerns). The very same day I messaged CypriotMerks an apology and the ban was lifted.

.Aside from this short ban, I was briefly restricted from the forums for accidental rate abuse, but was back after less than a day.​

Do you meet the requirements for staff?
    Yes.​
    Support: 87
    No-Support: 5​

"Why are you applying? You said you were waiting until you had graduated!"
    I'll probably have graduated before this is ever accepted ;P Also, the words "screw it" may have cropped up.
    EDIT: Have now graduated. Nailed it.

• Support Support x 44
    • No Support No Support x 5
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. Gumo

Gumo Well-Known Member

IGN:
    guuumo
    It's about time oh my gosh.
    1st!!!! Love you btw you're my spirit animal and (was) my favourite mod.
    First of all, your application is amazing. Like tbh there are some words in there that I've never used in my life. I didn't know a moderator application could be so entertaining to read. Your application is probably the most perfect an application could be apart from: Proof you're not a robot HAHAHAHHAHAHHA
    Second as a moderator you were amazing. You're one of the few moderators I actually remember (sorry if this insults anyone but it's true) and loved. You have all the knowledge a mod could need because of your past experience, you're smart, appropriate, helpful, nice, approachable and have every good quality I can think of. I constantly see you helping both in chat and on forums. Personally, I've needed a lot of help from you. I think if you were not there I would probably still have a lot of the problems you have solved.

If you do not get mod then idk what life is anymore. #Lycel4Mod
    Good luck :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  3. laini

laini Ma'am Premium

IGN:
    Prxcto
    Oh my god! Support!!! So glad to see you re-applying.

4. Inu_

Inu_ Well-Known Member

I have to say Neutral leaning to support right now. I don't know if it's a time zone thing but I hardly see you on and when you are on I don't see you helping people as much. However, I do think I saw you as a mod when I was a greenie about 2 or some odd years ago, which to me is a plus because that tells me that you are Mod material. If I see you online and helping people more, I will definitely change my Neutral to Support!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  5. eunice

eunice epiphany Premium

Support ofc, you were a very kind and generous moderator and I'm sure that you still are. I've really enjoyed u as a mod back then and it'd be great to see u on the staff team again :))

6. IllegalWiFi

IllegalWiFi Guest

YES FINALLY, SUPPORT

7. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Finallly! Support but I dont see you much active. I believe its timezones since we are 7.5 hours apart!

8. Eggyolk2OO2

Eggyolk2OO2 Experienced Member

IGN:
    Eggyolk2OO2
    SUPPORT OFC!!!

9. poggers

poggers Senior Member

OMG SUPPORT YES

10. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

Support! You're very kind and helpful in game and would be a great fit for Moderator :)

11. Desired Nam3

Desired Nam3 Active Member

IGN:
    Desired_nam3
    support I c u help people and u have mod experiences b4!

12. Lycel

Lycel Senior Member

IGN:
    Lycel
    Sorry for the big reply chain everyone! ^-^;;
    ;-; Thank you Gumo. Your words mean a lot. :heart:
    Thanks Laini! Fingers crossed that we'll be colleagues some day ^v^
    I look forward to it :3
    Aw, thanks... uh, what do I call you now? Eunice nee` Chicky? xD
    Thanks Wifi :heart:
    Yep, that and those darned exams! cx
    Thanks Egg! ^-^
    Thank you Talia :heart:3
    That's very kind of you Natey, thank you :3
    Thanks Raven!

13. Hannah

Hannah Boss Member

IGN:
    larrythebird101
    I don't play anymore but I know you'd do great again so support :]

14. Bossgamer

Bossgamer Super Moderator Super Moderator

IGN:
    Bossyy
    I'd love to moderate with you. Support!

15. Taki

Taki Active Member

Support !! Active and helpful

16. Nocturnish

Nocturnish Senior Member

Full support. You'd make a great mod again.

17. athyrix

athyrix Senior Member Premium

Full support.
    Don't even need to read.

18. iballisticbunny6

iballisticbunny6 Senior Member

IGN:
    SkyDwag
    I see you constantly on the server helping people, even though we have much different time zones. Support and good luck!

19. Pony's Shadow

Pony's Shadow Member

Lycel. After all the kind conversations, light-heartedness, respectfulness, and responsibility I've seen from you, how could I not support you? I give nothing but support, and I do hope you're ready to keep track of this and life again, while also still having time to talk to friends..

20. Devannn_

Devannn_ Beyoncé Moderator

IGN:
    Devannn_
    Eggyolk2OO2 Told me you applied so I got on as straight as I can to give you a MASSIVE SUPPORT! You'd be an AMAZING Moderator. You're friendly, trustworthy, active, kind and so on.

Good Luck c:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.