Skyblock Limited /lb access on your island (owners only)

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by Bard, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Bard

Bard Active Member

IGN:
    Audibility
    Often times I'll lose an item, something seems off, random missing blocks, etc.

I'm proposing a much more limited lot block access to island owners. Here's what would be different from what the staff has:

-chestaccess will be limited to only the user's chests (so only their locked chests and all unlocked chests)

-if an item has been taken off your island and put in a chest somewhere else, you won't get coordinates where it is, but will see who took what

-no radius needed (mainly for simplicity) and could be just exclusive to the island

-------------
    Why do we even need logblock?

In short, we don't exactly, as we can simply as staff to log something for us, but there aren't many on anymore.
    -------
    Pros:
    Makes staff's lives slightly easier in certain cases

Monitor a hired players activities on the island to make sure they dont do anything sneaky

If you have a big island you might lose track of things.

Cons:
    /lb can be confusing with the syntax

People might not understand what the results are telling them

Might create lag if abused
    -----------
    I'm expecting very mixed opinions. I'm open to all of them :) if you have something to say, I'd love to hear it!

• Support Support x 6
    • No Support No Support x 2
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
  2. MrGallifrey

MrGallifrey Active Member

IGN:
    MrGallifrey
    Support, couldn't hurt to keep up with your island; especially in large coops. May even make staff's lives MUCH easier, but I do think this would be very controversial to add, as the staff may be reluctant to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. lowfps10

lowfps10 Active Member

IGN:
    lowfps10
    Support, this will make handling scams and griefs on your island a lot easier, so you don't have to ask a staff to check logs for you.

4. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

lol support moderators seem against helping people when they need it as opposed to what they say in their applications

5. Bard

Bard Active Member

IGN:
    Audibility
    im boutta
    bump this bad boy thru the roof

6. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    What about coop members?

Support, I often want to logblock stuff without having to bother a moderator.

7. K41YU

K41YU ahiru-san Moderator Premium

IGN:
    K41YU
    I agree, it'd be nice to have self log block, I don't like bothering staff all the time. However, I'm iffy about this. While there's a lot of nice things about it, I can see people abusing it, wrongly accusing and attacking others, much like in real life. For example, someone pretending to slip and suing a restaurant. Like that, I could willingly let you have some of my stuff in my chests, then screenshot the log blocks and report you for stealing from me. So I don't think it would be a great idea to give to the players.

8. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

No support.
    a) Log block is a moderation tool which has the potential to lag the server if used incorrectly. This is why it is given to players who are trusted enough to be accepted as staff and should not be given to players. Just because there are less staff on doesn't mean all tasks staff need to do should be handed to players to do.
    b) Log block needs to access a database for results. With the amount of lookups and logging players potentially could do it will strain the server resources.
    c) limiting log block would require development that potentially would take away time from other features that are useful to the server as a whole.
    d) Staff will have to re-log what you log to verify it is legitimate so it is pointless as proof and regardless if a person took an item you would still need staff to retrieve it. This issue could also result in a bunch of people going on witch hunts, calling people out, arguments and other things that cannot be handled if no staff is on.

Honestly if you know how to use log block but can't keep your island safe from a grief or loot then we better have a chat. The clue in who griefed or looted is all in /trust list and that is all you need to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Michael

Michael Active Member

IGN:
    michael1234
    I agree with Krissy. While it may be useful for players to be given access to logblocn, it would be very difficult to restrict the commands players could use in a way that prevents them from logging items on other players’ islands. It has always been a command for staff only, and I believe that giving it to all players would definitely harm the server, as it can easily be abused. There are an enourmous amount of logs on the server, so many in fact that they have to be cleared every few months, and anyone with the ability to access all of that information could very easily lag the server. I have even made a few mistakes myself, by forgetting to specify a player in the search, resulting in lookups that took over 20 seconds to complete.

Logblock can also sometimes be misleading, and lead to unnecessary arguments or accusations if players don’t know how to read it correctly. It is something that goes well with the rest of staff permissions, as we are given other tools to help us verify what was shown in the logs, before taking action.

As Krissy has also stated, we would have to log everything again to verify it, making it pointless, as players being given access to this would not really be able to help. Overall, I think that in an ideal world, this is something that could be given to players; however, there are too many ways that this could go wrong. Logblock has never been a command given to players, and there have been no problems so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 52Phenomenon

52Phenomenon Super Moderator Super Moderator Events Manager

IGN:
    52Phenomenon
    I'm also going to no support this. I will say that I can see where this idea has come from and I see your perspective, but to me there's a lot of issues with this and it will never work out like you might imagine.

Having multiple players looking up things on their island would put a lot of strain on the server and would probably create lag. Sometimes I run a logblock command and it takes a while to complete because I missed out a key word or something - can you imagine what would happen to the server if this was commonly being done? Also, limiting logblock would also be very hard to do: there is so much information that would have to be removed, and it would be so difficult and time consuming to do that. Logblock is also complicated and sometimes very difficult to understand. It takes a while to fully understand it and if information was interpreted wrong it could leads to fights and confrontation between players. Finally, we'd have to verify the information ourselves anyway (for something like a loot/grief, etc) so it doesn't really save much time.

Logging items taken and broken and making sure everyone is following the rules is part of our job as staff, so you shouldn't be concerned about asking us to log something as we did sign up to do such things, and we're almost always happy to help.

Ultimately there's just too many things that could go wrong with adding this, logblock should remain a staff command like its always been. It has never been offered to players, or even really talked about, and there hasn't been issues with that so far. Although, like I said, I can see where this idea is coming from.

11. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    I think Logblock should be for Helpers and higher staff members.

A looter stole 300 diamonds of rares from me in /classic and Myrmidous didn't even help get my rares back, but he banned the person for 31d and the person never came back.

Oh, I may have a big island.

I might be hiring a person who can restock my shop easily, I will pay 5 diamonds every friday.

Neutral.