Skyblock Item sorters fixed

Discussion in 'Player Guides' started by Adriansop, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Adriansop

Adriansop Moderator Moderator

IGN:
    Adriansop
    If you're reading this, chances are you aren't a redstone engineer. But we tend to use all sorts of guides for machines that make our gameplay more automated, and perhaps more fun.

Those guides don't cover redstone mechanics on Skyblock, at least not to any useful extent. Here is a problem that many of you have probably been struggling with:
    2020-06-04_10.48.07.png
    A conveyor of hoppers running over a bunch of filters (five filters in the screenshot). You can find this anywhere on youtube. Here is an example (same design as in the screenshot):

In most cases at least one of the filters just doesn't want to work.
    Luckily you don't have to be a redstone engineer of any sort to figure out what's going on, and how to fix it.

The issue is that most hoppers on the server are not synced, whereas in vanilla Minecraft they are. Instead, hoppers tick periodically depending on when you place each hopper. The period for each hopper will never change as long as they all stay in one chunk (f3+g to see chunks).

So here is your solution for your item sorter if you have one as shown in the screenshot:
    If one of the filters in your sorter doesn't work, break the hopper at the very top of the sorter, above that one filter. Then replace the hopper and try sorting again. Repeat the process until it does work. Again, let the entire sorter rest in one chunk.

There you go. You can use sorters for almost anything now. Sort your carpets for map art, sort the loot from your grinder, sort your kit inside shops, etc. In very rare cases, one of your items will not go through the filters. I don't know the cause of this. However, the benefit definitely outweighs the cost for an issue that has been around for over a year.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  2. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Interesting indeed. Drogo wonders if they can be sync'd by powering the hoppers then depowering them. This can easily be done all at the same time with the flick of a switch, where as they obviously cannot be placed at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. otter360

otter360 Active Member

IGN:
    otter360
    Very useful tip, might build a sorter at some point to try this out. Also a way to make your sorter larger but still inside a single chunk would be to stack them on top of each other (like a modular kinda thing) (also keep in mind there is a hopper limit).

4. Tog

Tog atpoaim Discord Moderator Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Togpuss
    I'm actually considering building one of these in the future, thanks for the tips.

5. Adriansop

IGN:
    Adriansop
    In my observations they cannot. Though I'm not stopping you from seeing it for yourself.

Something else I tried was loading a conveyor of hoppers in schematica, and use a bunch of piston modules to place the next hopper in the conveyor (as the pistons blocked my ability to place them) at certain timestamps to control the syncing. That didn't work out for me either. Maybe if we didn't have block lag.

6. Mashwishi

Mashwishi Member

IGN:
    Mashwishi
    How did you make it one error only? I'm experiencing 2 sort that doesn't work as it should be.

As can you see that the sorter is in the same chunk.
    [​IMG]

Here's the error Slime and Brown wool, sometimes light gray and dark or black things pretty random wonder why. it just keep throwing things instead of storing i get less than i should get and it's very sad.. hope they do something about this
    [​IMG]

Here's what I contribute to all players:
    [​IMG]

7. InfiniteShop

InfiniteShop Active Member

IGN:
    InfiniteShop
    The hopper now takes 4 ticks per 1 cycle (not sure what its called), but the hopper will transfer items in 4 rather than 1 like the vanilla. This was implemented to prevent lag.

8. Adriansop

IGN:
    Adriansop
    The solution is described here:
    I've come in game and fixed your sorter this way :) the reason why it's supposed to stay in one chunk is so that it will never break again, thus having to do this process just once.