Inflation reduction

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by GAMER1232012, Mar 22, 2018.

1. GAMER1232012

GAMER1232012 Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I came across this topic while trying to convince a player to stay on Skyblock. He was angry that the server was too 'pay to win' and that the prices for everything were ridiculously high. After talking for abut an hour, the topic of inflation came up, and I became curious.

It occurred to me that I couldn't think of any counters to the natural time-driven inflation of grass and diamonds. The villagers at warp grass are not an efficient sink for grass, since many of their items (stone, saplings, etc) are not patronized by players, since those items are available elsewhere for a much cheaper price.

If a solution is not found for this, I think we'll see a return of the very same problems from the classic server, namely inflation of grass, inflation of diamonds, a recurrence of the insane wealth gap between high donors and other players, and other issues.

Thoughts? I'd like to write a paper on this, and I would like some insight, especially from older players who have observed the development of the old classic server and the consequences of not having a wealth sink.

Thanks,
    GAMER
    P.S.: a 'sink' is basically an in game mechanism designed to remove currency and valuables from the game to help counter inflation.

2. Krissy

Krissy hyyh Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Its a survival server and people treat it like its a economy based server. That is the issue. People raise the prices because of greed and use the economy as an excuse. Things on the server are made so hard to get for non donors because they have to make it challenging for donors too.
    1. It makes it hard to make any money sink without people complaining it will ruin the made up economy so new players suffer. How many times I have heard Cyp think of something nice to add to the villagers only to say he can’t because he will get so many complaints. Sad isn’t it that this obsession with creating an economy stifled our growth.
    2. Things keep getting nerfed after the higher level players get plenty... and then the discrepancy begins. But as I said, nothing new gets added.

3. Trade shops are great but people are so focused on trying to sell pretty much everything that those who have little stock and aren’t well known find it harder to sell.

I’ve been saying for years we should never trust a player made economy and now you can see why. It favours donors and spits out new player and non donors. The prices are due to greed and desire, and less to do with actual knowledge of what exists in the server.

I don’t think I make sense and I’m tired so forgive me. The take away message in this is player made economy is the mistake of classic and because the attitudes of the players are the same on the new server, nothing is really going to change

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    I totally agree with Krissy. As a 2012 player I saw the prices really getting high and low as always. And players used to set the price for example each head in a dp (it would take days maybe to decide a proper price). For example take a beacon, it was like 50 diamonds when I first played... and now look, its 220 diamonds! Wait wait wait! Some players are selling it for 300+ diamonds cause not people sell beacons (im talking about the price in /classic) and now the same thing will happen here probably. I've already seen the spawners prices going high already. They were like 5-6 diamonds and now people are selling it for 12 diamonds in a month! This really is annoying me. I, myself not some much of a trader and I dont really care about rares, and the economy but I just sell stone so I can get grass for my island to get it done

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. GAMER1232012

It only doesn't make sense because your ideas are too advanced :p

On a more serious note, what you described is essentially laissez-faire economics in a place where some people don't think it plays a role. However, I could also make a case that an economy is essential to survival, since it allows people to save time on getting materials instead while working on other things, and therefore. Just something to think about.

I feel as though everything you say, whether lucidly or in a worn-out stupor, has its own profound significance. Thank you for your thoughts;I'll keep that in mind.

5. Reformations

Reformations Active Member

In my opinion, I'd love the skyblock server to be free of an economy but that most likely will never occur.

The fact that the server includes a trading area which requires a limited block, obtained through voting and donor kits, sets an economy up on its own. The trade shop itself is a store which requires a currency to obtain its items. that automatically tells every one grass and diamonds are the currency. This is my thought.

In my eyes, people sell their items for grass/diamonds in order to pay for building materials, as Gamer1232012 had said, but for prices which can easily be seen as overpriced, that is from the player's greed and selfishness just as Krissy had said. Hope this helps!

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. AmericanTech

AmericanTech Active Member

The only way to truly stop inflation is to remove the human concept of greed.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. LegoCollecter14

LegoCollecter14 Well-Known Member

IGN:
    LegoCollecter14
    We could implement a sorta tax system on trades but I can’t think of a way to do it.

Or maybe make some perks or ranks buyable thru in game items. Yes it would suck some money from the server, but people are greedy and will still pay rather than spend time saving in game.
    These perks could also have a time limit, so people would have to keep spending grass dia. This would mean there would still be motivation to donate real money, and a permanent item sink

• Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  8. Megacrusher4200

Megacrusher4200 Well-Known Member

Truly, Skyblock Economy is about slapping a price on an item to see if it attracts buyers. Doesn’t have to be all exact. If people want to sell things cheaper than at /warp trade, they should feel free. It’s their loss, and the customer’s win.

9. GAMER1232012

You can be greedy and still not have inflation. All you need to do is stop printing currency, and not find anything to replace said currency.

There are many ways to manage inflation besides abandoning greed. Greed isn't just a human construct either; it's a base instinct and a crucial factor in natural selection. Take bears for example. If a bear isn't greedy enough and doesn't eat enough food, it will be less likely to make it through the winter and mate in the spring.

10. Krissy

Krissy hyyh Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Org is a good example of what greed and no money sink can do. For one, everyone was so intent on making money through spawners that the prices kept jumping up making it harder for people to get them if newer. The only good thing because public grinders.

Then if you take into account those who had that bulk amount of money and had a decent island... well... there was just nothing to spend money on exempt beacons.... which got boring so quickly.

Plus the incentive of being on baltop was more appealing. Org had unlimited money coming in because of the sell shop, and nothing special to buy and things because expensive and inflated.

The only way we can help new players is to lower our prices and make it trend. Because once a price gets trending on skyblock people tend to stick with it. If we all put aside wanting to be the richest or wanting the biggest and best islands perhaps we would be more welcoming.

11. GAMER1232012

I joined SkySupply with the intention of helping out new players by giving them a discount for basic materials and items likc diamond picks(free with a first purchase), cobble, wood, and bonemeal(all 50% off). Now, the release of tradeshop has made that much harder to do.

Regarding your 'more welcoming' point, I don't think many people, whether on skyblock or in real life, actively embrace the idea of self sacrifice. Being wealthy tends to make people forget that they too were unranked new players before they became donors. I'd even go so far as to say that having lots of diamonds makes people less likely to spend them, and instead encourages hoarding with the objective being to become richer than all your peers.

This phenomenon was quite prevalent in the /classic economy, and actually provided some benefits. It acted as an unofficial money sink, as old players with thousands of diamonds and grass quit for long periods of time and had their wealth wiped along with their islands.

I learn more every time I talk to you, so please keep on talking! :D