Forums Guide: How to make a good mod app (101)

Discussion in 'Player Guides' started by Lz, May 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

How to make a good mod app

Here's how to make a good mod app that is ordinary and dull, but stops people not supporting you because of your application. By smashing the qualities of a lot of applications together I made this masterpiece. It's also an illustration of how idiotic the average application has become. Applications have gotten identical and boring, but each one uses slightly different words.

Unconditional Rules:

1. Always make your sentences as long as possible. Chances are the average user will only scroll over it to see the support/no-support ratio, so make it long.
    2. Never use "don't" or "can't". Write "do not" or "can not".
    3. Don't write anything controversial.
    4. Use excessively formal language. Write in a manner that you would NEVER write in. Use complicated words that make you look smart. (Examples: Formal language | Oxford Dictionaries)
    5. If there may be an issue always counter it immediately.

Start here with a long introduction, explaining why you want to be a moderator and who you are. If you already have an introduction on the forums, copy/paste information here.

Your in-game name:
    Do not just write your in-game name here. Make a long sentence about your name, possibly include your real name, and if you are up for it write a very long paragraph about your previous names.

What time zone are you in?
    Again here; Write an entire paragraph. Don't just state your timezone. State your country, even the part of the country you live in. Instantly think of something positive that comes with your timezone.

What country do you live in?
    Repeat the information above, but make this incredibly long. Say how long you've lived in this country and how good the internet is. Nobody really cares, however this is an excellent opportunity for long sentences.

What languages do you speak?
    You can NOT just speak English. Had 1 lesson of Italian (etc.) when you were in school? Great, write it here. You must use many adjectives and glamorous language to truly show how fluent you are. If you need more languages, say that you want to learn some in the future (even though it is likely you never will).

Do you have 2FA enabled? Yes/No
    Don't just write yes. Write a paragraph about how you have it enabled and about how important it is to you. Say how important you find the servers security and that you have it enabled in other things (email...) too, even if you haven't.

Do you have the necessary means of capturing evidence? (i.e. recording software, screenshots, etc)
    Always say yes. State the obvious screenshot tool, and say how excellent you are at retrieving those images. (more blablabla). Write another paragraph about how efficient and handy your recording method is and say how easily you will catch rule breakers.

Why do you think you should become a mod?
    Here comes the longest part. Nothing below 500 words!
    Here are some words you should write a paragraph to:

1. Inventive
    2. Exciting
    3. Thoughtful
    4. Powerful
    5. Practical
    6. Proactive
    7. Productive
    8. Professional
    9. Quality
    10. Quick
    11. Balanced
    12. Achiever
    13. Knowledgeable
    14. Leader
    15. Literate
    16. Logical
    17. Initiator
    18. Original
    19. Outgoing
    20. Particular
    21. Patient
    22. Active
    23. Positive
    24. Consistent
    25. Compassionate
    26. Incredible
    27. Independent
    28. With Integrity
    29. Mediator
    30. Emotional
    31. Cheerful
    32. Forgiving
    33. Sensuous
    34. Generous
    35. Sporty
    36. Devoted
    37. Candid
    38. Rebellious
    39. Cooperative
    40. Industrious
    41. Interesting
    42. Racy
    43. Meditative
    44. Understanding
    45. Quirky
    46. Quixotic
    47. Competitive
    48. Political
    49. Social Consciousness
    50. Modest
    51. Courageous
    52. Enthusiastic
    53. Enterprising
    54. Entrepreneurial
    55. Facilitator
    56. Focused
    57. Genuine
    58. Open Minded
    59. Wise
    60. Sensitive
    61. Sense of Humor
    62. Sensible
    63. Sincere
    64. Skilled
    65. Solid
    66. Communicative
    67. Helpful
    68. Fast
    69. Responsible
    70. Results-driven
    71. Results-oriented
    72. Self-reliant
    73. Organised
    74. Knowledgeable
    75. Logical
    76. Personable
    77. Pleasant
    78. Flexible
    79. Adaptable
    80. Persuasive
    81. Perceptive
    82. Insightful
    83. Trustworthy
    84. Easy going
    85. Good listener
    86. Imaginative
    87. Warm
    88. Ambitious
    89. Diplomatic
    90. Curious
    91. Leader
    Always explain the words in utmost detail and how you've acquired the traits.
    How long can you be active on the server everyday?
    NEVER write anything realistic here. You do NOT have a life. period. Say you can be on many hours a day, even though you never are and never will be.

How long have you been playing Skyblock?
    one point where you actually must state the truth. However, write another paragraph about how experienced you are due to your stay.

Have you ever been banned in the past? (Forums & In-game)
    List your bans. For every incident say that you have learned (etc. usual crap)

Do you have any past experience as a moderator?
    Maybe some small servers no one knows and ever will know about here? Don't say their names, but elaborate on how experienced you are because of these. And remember, they got shut down. If you actually have some experience say it here, but in that case you hopefully don't need this guide.

Do you meet the requirements for staff? Yes/No
    Say what you'd say in a marriage.

Do NOT end on that note. Now you must go on to say how thankful you are that everyone has read. Say you want honest feedback even though you don't, and actually want pages full of only-support. This enforces your qualities above.

Oh, and read this. Quite the masterpiece.

• Funny x 7
    • Winner x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  2. Devannn_

Devannn_ Beyoncé Moderator

IGN:
    Devannn_
    1sttt
    Nicely done!
    This will definitely guide those who are willing to help with the server but don't know how to apply!
    Good Job :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. laini

laini Ma'am Premium

IGN:
    Prxcto
    As much as I think this is a good guide, there are some things I don't totally agree with.
    Use don't and can't as you wish. As long as it's used in a suitable manner, it's fine. There's nothing saying you can't say or do that.
    Also, I don't agree with using excessively formal language. Be yourself, because once you get mod, people would be very surprised to see that you've had an extreme change out of nowhere.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Great guide!! Now new applicants will hopefully take some of your advice in this guide and use them in their applications thanks to you ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Eleanora

Eleanora Experienced Member

How to make a good mod app: Lie.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Krissy

Krissy hyyh Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

I feel like we need to move past the "listing traits" thing that kinda became the trend for a long time (i only have myself to blame for that).
    It isn't always about what traits you possess, but how you interact with the community that counts. Someone may be kind, helpful and patient yet not be mature, active or knowledgeable about the server.
    Traits are also easy to make up. Which I think is why people are starting to find the lies in apps.
    The best way to go is to tell everyone what you can do as a mod and worry less about what traits you have that make this possible.

People also need to stop telling applicants to make their applications longer. No one wants to read 2000 words of traits. Get to the point and say you points well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Sarge

Sarge Experienced Member

11/10 would make joke again. Overall, a great guide for a mod app. An important thing to add is that the mod app needs to be personal to the player and shouldn't be generic.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

I put what I see in a lot of applications together. People using excessive language that isn't at all like they usually speak is unfortunately all too common, so I exaggerated it there. Same thing for that list of traits, doing that (in a GOOD mod app) is terrible but it is what the average one does

9. Elpacer

Elpacer Active Member

I'm definitely gonna use this guide when I apply for Helper/Moderator! good job over all! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Xethorias

Xethorias Senior Member

IGN:
    Xethorias
    ;-)

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    This is a good guide for people who want to apply for Staff.

12. Acceptation

Acceptation Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Acceptation
    Very nice! Love this guide

13. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

I think too many people didn't understand this is a joke

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Marcy

IGN:
    Marcawn
    Even though, I can't apply for staff, because I have a bad ban history in classic ._.

15. Krissy

You can still apply for staff with a bad history. As long as that history is... history xD

I stepped away from the generic formula for my app because at the end of the day actions speak louder than words. You can have all of these qualifications but if your attitude and actions are seen as unsuitable then it is harder to get selected. No one cares about your personality traits when you list them... they care about you showing those traits

For example many people throw the word mature around without realising that their actions they show does not reflect that. So the best thing to do is just be truthful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Marcy

IGN:
    Marcawn
    I was banned on classic 5 times or more than that around 2015.

and I got banned on the new server on 1 time.

There's like a higher chance of me getting Denied.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

This is good advice.

18. Krissy

2015 is a long time ago now. Focus on righting the mistakes of the present. Even if there is a higher chance of denial, if you dwell on that, then so will everyone else and that what makes it less likely for an applicant to get picked

19. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

IGN:
    TheEpicEmerald
    I applied and you know... hahahah

Anyways great guide for new applicants!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

Bumping this, more people need to know how not to write a moderator application.
    Although I've noticed most new applicants don't even meet the requirements, could include a paragraph on elaborating when applying of proud you are on meeting them ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.