How Bout Some Events!

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Mafro, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Mafro

Mafro Active Member

IGN:
    Mafrorific
    While chatting with a bunch of players, I was reminded how much fun I had with weekly events on my last server (which has since shut down). I'd sometimes record these events and commentate!

Here's a few that we did, which might spark some ideas.

Mob Survival Challenge
    This was an arena event where players would be set against a CRAZY number of INSANE mobs. PvP was turned off and the admins would spawn the mobs in real time. Once a large majority of players had fallen, the admins would clear the arena of mobs and the surviving players would receive a prize! They also were able to loot the drops from their fellow players, as well as any mobs they encountered.

PvP Free For All
    The name says it all. An arena is opened and all the participants jump in. There's a countdown by an admin who turns on PvP. The last one standing gets a prize!

Players vs. Mods
    This was team PvP with the top 10 (or so) players against the top 10 (or so) mods. PvP would be enabled in the arena and then the two sides would go at it! The players usually destroyed the mods, as they typically had better PvP skills...but the mods would often be in a call together and would use their better organization to try and go through the players by all mods ganking one player at a time.

There were lots of other activities, like the entire server fighting a buffed ender dragon (which would drop its head when it died), spleef, king of the hill, PvP tournaments, and so on. It was all kicked off by a weekly drop party where the staff would fly over the players and drop lots of random loot! The festivities would typically go for 2 to 3 hours, and it certainly stress tested the server!

In addition to being fun, doing activities like this might give players something to look forward to and prepare for, giving another use for diamonds (to craft armor), potions, and gapples. Not sure how it would work on a 1.12 server, seeing as combat was dramatically changed in 1.9...but still might be something to think about, or inspire some ideas for fun! :D

Lastly, it was a bonding experience that players and staff could both talk about afterwards. Players who missed it would come on the server and ask who won the FFA, what did they win, what crazy mobs did the admins spawn in Mob Survival, and so on.

Just something to think about... :thumbsup:

~Mafro

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Oakk

Oakk Experienced Member

IGN:
    OakiiDoakie
    I've been thinking about this as well :D I really want to see this on the server and maybe some rewards for the players who win also here are some suggestions: Pig Race, Build Competition.

3. Lobh

Lobh Active Member

IGN:
    Lobh
    This sounds like an amazing idea. I would love to see some weekly events. I think this would be beneficially to bring in a new set of players.

Support support support

4. Monster_Sparklez

Monster_Sparklez Yee yee Bubba Premium Premium

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    I like it! This would help bring the community and together as a whole some other ideas finishing events, now and arrow events, cooking events where you have to cook or fish the things the fastest and winner gets a small prize

• Like Like x 1
  5. Exisa

Exisa Active Member

IGN:
    Exisa
    i like this idea, support

6. Vanithan

Vanithan Member

Good idea. They need to get a handle on lag first and stop nerfing things people pay real money to use.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

7. lowfps10

lowfps10 Active Member

IGN:
    lowfps10
    Some people wanted entire minigaes to put on the server, which wasn't a good idea since this is a skyblock server. This would be a great idea to bring the community together and increase player count.

8. xMonster

xMonster Active Member

IGN:
    yapX01
    Mafro those videos bring me way back to those old days. I miss that community a lot. So many names in chat that I remembered.

As someone who played on this old server (which is sadly gone) regularly and loved the weekly events, I think this would be a fantastic idea to rally the community. As a former staff member on there, we would talk about the events and hype everything up every week. Hundreds would join the party.

I've seen quite the lot of people ask about PvP in skyblock. I think it'll attract more new players to the server, and give us more things to do once we're bored of expanding our island.

+rep

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    Not sure about the mob survival challenge as it seems very similar to mob arena. I do like the idea of pvp with players vs the mods. I'd be willing to take down Devannn_ with ease :D

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Mafro

Mafro Active Member

IGN:
    Mafrorific
    I think one difference is that this was An Event - a party, really - in the sense that everyone turned out for it. Player count would surge once a week as even lightly active players would log back in to see their friends and participate. Those that died early on would join the spectators around the arena, cheering (or booing! :hah:) those that outlived them. And the staff were super visible (and, also, typically on a staff call...which itself was fun!).

Another difference is that players brought their own gear, which they had grinded and crafted especially for the event. This gave players something to not only look forward to, but to work towards. Serious players would go into PvP or even Mob Survival Challenge with 3 or 4 full sets of god armor, sometimes with an extra helmet or two. They'd have up to a stack of god apples (dunno how that would work, now that god apples have been removed), a couple each of potions of strength and speed, with the rest of their inventory typically splash healing pots. Even choosing gear and inventory became a guarded secret for some. For some it was a major investment, but the glory, loot, prizes, and sheer fun were worth it...it was not unusual for survivors to come out with more god apples than they went in with.

Finally, in looking back it was fun seeing the varying strategies that players used. The poorer players would enter the arena in cheap leather, hoping to loot real gear off someone that died early. Some players would form phalanxes to guard each others' back while others would solo it, literally never stopping running and never attacking, trying to avoid pulling aggro. Players would claim a corner, sniping single mobs with a bow, in the hope the hordes would leave them alone. Teams would get on voice chat to better coordinate their efforts.

And the loot was real. Not just the prizes, but you'd end up with some other player's custom named chestplate and stuff. Players might even pay to buy back their equipment, so it wasn't hanging on someone else's prize wall. And, of course, heads would drop (random chance) during PvP, so you could literally take someone else's head.

Good times...good times....

~Mafro

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  11. xMonster

xMonster Active Member

IGN:
    yapX01
    Mafro don't make me cry like that :'(

A community event on one night, no matter what it is, would be extremely cool and something for many to write home about.

12. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    I feel like Mafro is pulling a Skeppy,

It's been so long without events. (excluding holiday droppartys)

13. bERYbERRY

bERYbERRY c000000000000000kies Builder Premium

IGN:
    BertBerry
    Yeah I really would like some events like these. Heck, I would very happy to build arenas, etc for these events if Noobcrew ever decides to add these events or something ;p

14. BlakeJ1234

BlakeJ1234 Active Member

Some events would be great to have,
    Maybe the staff could talk about a Halloween event.
    -blakej1234

15. Bri_

Bri_ Member

IGN:
    StarCrafter06
    Sounds like some great ideas!! All of these would definitely be fun

I’d be willing to help take down Devannn_ lmao :D

• Like Like x 2