Give us the option to hide previous names

Discussion in 'Forums Suggestions' started by fran, Dec 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    We're young, we're dumb, maybe we're just joking around. Whatever the reason is, most of us (if not all) have had previous names we're not particularly proud of. So, PLEASE, give us the ability to hide our embarrassing pasts.

PROS:
    - All

CONS:
    - "Staff won't be able to recognise the user or see their previous history"
    * History is permanent.
    * Staff members should be able to bypass this.

- "Ugh but then I won't be able to find my long lost friends"
    * Yes you will because hiding your previous names is optional, as long as you don't decide (key word) to private it, everyone will be able to see it.
    * If someone chooses (key word once again) to hide their previous names, it's for a reason. Maybe they don't want you to find them after all x

I'll be answering any questions in the comments. Don't forget to like and subscribe to prxc

EDIT: Credits to MINI
    “I think this is a great idea, another option would be if you remember their old username it still pops up with their current one, just that it doesn't recognize it.“
    (Basically if you searched for my old username “Frannn17” it’d still redirect you to my page, but it would still not show up in my previous names)

• Support Support x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • No Support No Support x 1
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
  2. Mini

Mini gronola bar Premium

IGN:
    minified
    I think this is a great idea, another option would be if you remember their old username it still pops up with their current one, just that it doesn't recognize it. But yes, most of the time we're just joking with our friends and we change it as soon as the month is up. I do really like the way that you said optional too because not everyone has made that embarrassing mistake. I hope this gets added :heart:

Support

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. athyrix

athyrix Senior Member Premium

The simple answer, yes this is possible but there is a procedure for this.
    If you head over to https://skyblock.net/account/privacy (also found by clicking your name next to your inbox, then clicking privacy) you can change what people can and cannot see, whether this is your profile information generally, people who can poke you, but the thing we are interested in is the "view your identities." As you can see below all of mine are set to Members Only - by default most of these will be all members (aka people who are not registered on the forums can still see the information as a guest). [​IMG]
    Unfortunately there is not actually a way to remove all name history completely, however you can hide it from every single player with the exception of staff. This is because staff have the permission to bypass privacy on Skyblock profiles, meaning if a player sets "View details on your profile page" to Members I follow only, it would mean the staff could not access their profile at all. There is not a way to allow staff to bypass a certain privacy feature on its own, sadly. The best you can do is block all users apart from staff from seeing your previous names, as shown above in my screenshot you can simply uncheck the box where it says view your identities and it should be hidden. :)

4. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    I thought that was it, you could rename it to make it clearer possibly?

5. eunice

eunice epiphany Premium

i don't think re-naming is possible since its probably a xenforo feature, but correct me if im wrong.

anyways im glad that there actually is a solution to this :))

6. GLaDDeX1234

GLaDDeX1234 Active Member

IGN:
    GLaDDeX1234
    There's a solution for this?? BRB (I rly liked the idea too, but Athyrix has future seeing powers ig lol)

7. athyrix

athyrix Senior Member Premium

Don't worry at all, we all have those names :p

8. trinity

trinity selene Discord Moderator Premium

IGN:
    sunflow27
    although we have an answer i'd just like to talk about this point

This point contradicts one of your other points. I'm not a fan of this tbh
    ^ point it contradicts, they're gonna go off of old names and try to search them etc. so if it just redirects you to their profile then it's completely destroying this point