Free Speech On Skyblock

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by computerwizerd.01, May 1, 2018.

?

Should Mods be able to ban somebody for having an opinion different than theirs?

1. Yes

11.9%
  2. No

88.1%
  1. computerwizerd.01

computerwizerd.01 Member

As a few of you guys may have seen, a day ago i was muted on the server for using the word queer.
    Not offensively,
    but only saying
    "So if the word queer is something someone can identify as, should it be considered a bad word?"
    24 HR. MUTE
    I'd love to hear other peoples opinions as to what you think about free speech and how it pertains to skyblock, because quite frankly, it seems that people aren't allowed to discuss anything without being told to "Bring it to the /Msg" because a mod doesn't agree with somebodies statement.

• Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Rude Rude x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Armaganndon

Armaganndon Well-Known Member

IGN:
    armaganndon
    Eh this whole "freedom of speech" is only true to an extent. But in most cases they just kinda make up rules and mute for nothing, or in my case, ban.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I don’t think the situation you were in was handled correctly, but the mods are trying. Also the whole concept of free speech is an American thing. Not every country has that and a private establishement such as skyblock is not obliged to uphold that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lycel

Lycel Senior Member

IGN:
    Lycel
    ...Huh?
    I muted you for saying that people who are transgender are retarded, if my memory serves me correctly. o_O That's not an opinion, that's just unjustly slandering a minority.

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Free speech doesn’t mean you can say anything and anywhere. You have to follow rules and laws or face consequences.
    Hate speech isn’t permitted here. We have people of difference race, gender, sexuality, religion and even some may have various disabilities so we are required to be respectful regardless of our beliefs and opinions.
    Keep all the hate towards any minorities to yourself and express them somewhere where they will be welcome.
    Honestly it isn’t difficult to talk about other things. If hundreds of players don’t get in any trouble for anything then it’s your own issue.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    Honestly, this a joke right?

If a moderator did that, you're going to have massive issues between mods and the players.
    Just cause a mod has a different viewpoint than you doesn't mean you must be enslaved to their opinion. That's modern day slavery in minecraft form. Anyone can say whatever they want, but if it gets to the point it poses as a threat to society then thats on you

7. ILostMyKeys

ILostMyKeys Active Member

Freedom of Speech means you can say whatever you want, doesn’t mean you’re immune from criticism or punishment from it. Skyblock has its own rules you must abide by in order to participate. I would suggest a refresher for you, here.

8. Taki

Taki Active Member

Are we allowed guns on skyblock

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. computerwizerd.01

computerwizerd.01 Member

Exactly when did i say that they were retarded? i was stating my opinion that being trans is a mental disorder. ADHD is a mental disorder, but having it doesn't make you retarded does it?

• Dislike Dislike x 2
  10. computerwizerd.01

computerwizerd.01 Member

not a joke, it actually happened, if that's what you're wondering.

11. FloydFoxx

FloydFoxx Member

I got banned for a day for asking my friend if she was homosexual so ironically we had the same problem only instead of posting a complaint I called the mod who warned me a homo which is what resulted in a ban and I accept that I disrespected staff and thats against the rules so I'll take responsibility for it but cmon man I was mad that I got warned for asking my friend if she was gay (note SHE IS) but yeah I kinda just put myself in the mods positions and I could see how that could be offensive speech but idk I still think it was a stupid situation. anyway now that I'm done rambling good luck with this thread, I'd be down for free speech as long as it excludes swearing and threats.

~Floyd

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
  12. Lycel

Lycel Senior Member

IGN:
    Lycel

Your words, not mine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Cyk753

Cyk753 Super Moderator Super Moderator Staff Applicant Advisor

Ahem, Lycel's Lawyer Here.

You made comments denying the dignity of a certain group of people. You generalized them as mentally unfit. That is why you were muted. It seems you have not learned how that is hurtful. I present to you now exactly what happened in public chat. I will show the entire context of your messages. (Apologies for pictures of overlapping chat comments, you never can be too careful while taking proof).

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
  14. Cyk753

BOOM! Headshot

2018-04-30_19.58.32.png

• Like x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Rude x 1
  15. GAMER1232012

GAMER1232012 Well-Known Member

Censorship is not the same as slavery at all. Censorship is Lycel muting people for saying something(in this case it was probably justified). Slavery is Lycel forcing him to work her grinders. There's a difference.

16. archerexpert777

IGN:
    simparch777
    Yea, but slavery can also mean your restriction to free speech. Either way, its the same

17. Lz

Lz Well-Known Member

What an ironic thread.

18. Cyk753

Slavery is treating people as property. It is not quite the same stopping someone from being verbally abusive.

19. archerexpert777

IGN:
    simparch777
    But you do deprive their freedom of speech.

In a way, if mods did ban people that had different opinions, then that would (in a way) be considered slavery cause you are forcing them to make them believe in you and to not question their beliefs

20. Cyk753

There is a line between freedom of speech and speech filled with hateful language. There is a difference in sharing an opinion and throwing outrageous insults. The first does not excuse nor protect the second.

I can only use the USA as an example. People do get sued for libel, slander, defamation and the like. People also get prosecuted for actions that are a result from hate speech, such as provoking a physical fight. Freedom of speech/ expression/ opinion does not allow someone to discriminate against nor verbally destroy another person or group of people.

Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing that unfortunately the whole world does not have a right to. We are lucky to be able to debate this topic. We do not need to be at each other's throats to say something on our minds.

Censorship of fighting words is a tool used to encourage respectful behavior. Fighting words are the most hurtful, think extreme racism for instance. Think of when censorship is used in society. Think of things like movie ratings, books, school, your parents or other adults you look up to.

Here is a link for your brain to chew on.

ABA Division for Public Education: Students: Debating the "Mighty Constitutional Opposites": Hate Speech Debate

There are numerous more articles to read just by searching the internet.

Remember, this is a game where young children play. Remember this server's goal is to be family friendly. The moderators here are not shoving their own personal agenda in someone else's face. They are just trying to keep the peace.

If anyone would like to personally discuss this topic further with me, I am on discord.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1