Global Drop Party Megathread

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by athena_x, Oct 30, 2022.

1. athena_x

athena_x Well-Known Member

IGN:
    creationism
    This thread is gonna be a bit long, sorry about that, but i've got lots of DP ideas.

Things with the competition / drop party this year were... complicated to say the least. There's alot of room for improvement there.

A. SHORTLISTING

The main complaint from this year was the shortlist. It felt very 'influenced' by the staff team, even though the final vote came down to the players. I think it would be awesome to just allow a direct vote from players instead (minus offensive / rule breaking submissions) and ask everyone to vote for their 6 most favorite heads (5 for the drop party, 1 for the hunt).

B. TRANSPARENCY
    It would also help to just have a bit more transparency as to the entire process, from start to finish. More notice for the actual date of the drop party (so people can plan more than 2 days ahead), what factors are considered when deciding on a shortlist (if it continues to be used), etc.

C. LAG & CONNECTION ISSUES
    This was also a major issue this year, it seems like the whole system for in-game events needs a bit of a revamp to continue working well. This could be improved by adding a queue system for connection into the event server, also possibly an option to allow disable the rendering of others players to prevent clientside stability issues in the first place.

Another solution would be to just allow players to opt themselves into the drop parties without physically needing to join the server.

D. HEAD BALANCING / CHANGES
    This is something that has become quite a bit of an issue in current days. It's pretty obvious that economy has a playerbase that is significantly less than the main Skyblock server. It seems pretty silly that the ratio of heads distributed between both of those servers is equal (1:1) with such a drastic diversity in playercounts. I suggest introducing less heads into economy as a whole.

E. HEAD COMPETITION RULES
    Due to the massive number of heads submitted to the competition this year, I think it would be smart to cap the number of submissions per player. Doing so will encourage players to put more work & detail into their heads, also balancing out the crazy number of submissions we got this year. It would also be helpful to have more clarity on what is/isn't allowed or considered as "stealing / copying a head". Do designs have to be (mostly) unique? Can they use other heads as a base? Where does the line get drawn?

F. TIMEZONES

Please, please, please, please, please, start translating the drop party times into at least a few other major timezones. You can cover most of the playerbase by giving times in US (Pacific, Eastern, Central), Europe (Eastern), and Australia (Eastern). This will prevent quite a bit of confusion for our folks in other timezones, it'll take like maybe 10 extra minutes max.

Anyways, I was inspired by luka to post all my suggestions to the forums, hope I didn't rant on for too long.
    The most important suggestion by far though is to keep Megan under control for the next drop party. SMH.

2. xphstos37

xphstos37 Experienced Member

You should add something about the alts. I was specifically told alts aren’t allowed but I saw tons, so what is it? If they are allowed, fine! If they aren’t, make it so whoever is on with two, wins nothing.

3. luka

luka macdondalds Moderator Premium

IGN:
    Houzo
    greath suggestion thread creation, i agree with pretty much everything said!

We allowed 2 accounts per IP. One main and one alt. The use of a VPN was not permitted and the players who used VPNs and won heads on multiple accounts had their heads confiscated and re-rolled. The plugin only allows one win per IP so the permitted alt that someone may have had on could not win a head if the main won one.

Hope this clears that up for you!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Potato Boi

Potato Boi Active Member

IGN:
    rycewater
    TJANKS LUKA!

5. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    There is always confusion around alts mainly because staff all say different things. It's always been the way.

Even easier than translating DP time for different time zones, is to simply have a countdown timer?

6. Megan

Megan Experienced Member Premium

IGN:
    Meggann
    WHAT DID I DO?!

Most importantly, Thank you for this thread. It includes some very valuable feedback we will for sure take on board.

• Cookie Cookie x 1
  7. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Clearly you were out of control!
    Drogo must have missed it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Another thing to add is that they should make good on all promised prizes.
    It would appear that they forgot about prize 3. The only prize that ensures all entrants are rewarded for their efforts.
    Looking around now, Drogo can't see any of the entries in the DP warp.
    Very disappointing.

Prizes

1. The winning head(s) will be dropped at the DP
    2. The winner(s) will get a special announcement at the DP
    3. Every entry will have a feature in the upcoming DP warp.

9. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    Do not fret! They are ready for when the hunt is launched!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. lilCupcakeFreak

lilCupcakeFreak Well-Known Member Discord Moderator

IGN:
    lilcupcakefreak
    i do like how you werent able to see who won ahead of time at the warp

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    I'll reiterate my previous opinion, which is basically just switch the shortlist where players vote first and staff vote on the final ones but also make it a smaller shortlist. It seems staff want to have some involvement in the decision which is fine this would allow that, but if they want to allow all player voted heads then that's fine by me

This happens every year DP it's not really a new issue. A queue would help, but disabling rendering wouldn't help a whole ton considering the majority of the problem is a server stability issue, not clientside FPS drops and lag.

No. They shouldn't cater to the Skyblock players just because less people play Economy, if they don't like getting an economy head that's their problem. Treat each server equally regardless of the player count, plus it's too complicated having the same heads with different rarities on each server . They all trade it for grass or other items anyways so doesn't really hurt anyone.

Again, see my responses on other posts basically for my opinion on this

What also takes less than 10 minutes of work is googling "EST to GST converted" or whatever timezone you reside in. While it would be nice to have them add a list as there wouldn't be anything wrong with that, I also don't understand why it's so hard for people to just google 5pm EST converted to their timezone.

12. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Didn't see the heads Megan. Drogo sees the short list but not the others as promised.
    Drogo even checked the plane and they weren't there.
    Where is Prize 3????
    Should we fret now?

Australia also as an EST and we must remember that some members of the community are very young and maybe wouldn't have a clue as to how to check that.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  13. Megan

IGN:
    Meggann
    Nope! All 19 shortlisted heads are at the spawn of /warp halloween2022

This change was announced to players on the 15th October due to the vast quantity of entries:)
    D9DF9E03-B4B6-4988-BF5F-C96D04C03846.jpeg

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Very last post in a thread that wasn't visible after it was archived.
    Drogo always makes good on his promises. Foolish of him to expect that of others.

15. Calidre

Calidre Experienced Member

IGN:
    Calidre
    Correct, although these are not the majority of players so your idea of a countdown (which they've literally used before I'm pretty sure) would be sufficient and work better

16. Dexuby

Dexuby Active Member

IGN:
    Dexuby