[Discord] Rule change

Discussion in 'Other/Uncategorized Suggestions Archive' started by Krissy, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

I noticed a concerning issue regarding the discord rules after noticing a player being purposely offensive using the N word.
    [​IMG]

According to these rules I can go around saying that
    Hidden Content:
    **Hidden Content: Content of this hidden block can only be seen by staff members**
    for example but because it isn't directed at a users its fine. Yet that is harmful to any set of users that are in fact Indian.
    Similarly I could use the n word just for fun (yes, the bot does censor it but there isn't any rule to say I cannot bypass the bots filter) and I can avoid punishment because I wasn't being racist, i'm just using a racial slur.

Out of all the rules to be lax about why be lax about the one rule that actually promotes negative stereotypes and deplorable language, attitudes and behaviours.
    We have users talk about shooting people because they aren't white and they don't get punished. We have had multiple users using racial slurs that weren't punished because of these rules. We have people express hate that can really impact our younger users. We have our youngest active discord user whos 10 and this is what we allow.

So I am urging for the change of this rule and to completely outlaw all forms of racial slurs and allow staff to punish for it. Racism is harmful and even if its not directed to anyone it can still impact members of the community. The discord becomes toxic and unpleasant when users share these attitudes and we don't want a community where racism and racial slurs are seen as fine.

• Support Support x 13
  2. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    Im Indian and can understand what you mean, but don't people say the n word with the bs in? I mean a lot of people use it and it makes no harm (if used as a joke).

But support. This is not acceptable to let people use the n word especially on a discord server with people from different nationalities.

3. Parrot

Parrot Guest

I never knew you were Indian :eek:

But I would have to agree with Archer’s statement.

Support.

4. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    Yes, ask Krissy Lycel or vCommand xd

Theres an agree rating? Lmao

5. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Because racism isn't apparently defined by the slur, but the actual context apparently... yet the words itself carry a lot of negativity. Allowing this to happen is inviting trolls and undesirable behaviour. Does it look good when a staff has to say "sorry we can't punish for using a racial slur because there was no context?" A racial slur defines a minority group in a negative way and stereotypes them.
    Here is your answer from your active staff
    [​IMG]
    Make racism and any racial slurs illegal on the discord.

6. Fun

Fun Tyler Jøseph Premium

I believe Cyp asked that to be allowed. However, I didn't like that modification to the rule either. Since it seems like a lot of people support, I will try and get the rule changed.

7. Krissy

Thank you very much :heart:

8. Fun

Fun Tyler Jøseph Premium

Racism/Sexism
    kick ➝ kick ➝ ban
    Do not be racist or sexist towards any discord member. “n****,” “nibba,” and “nig," or anything of the likes, is not allowed.

Is this good?

9. Krissy

maybe change anything of the likes to be a bit more specific so perhaps no racial slurs or offensive language towards any culture/race

Seems to have the player and my approval :heart:

10. Lycel

Lycel Senior Member

IGN:
    Lycel
    [​IMG]
    Looks like the suggestion has been accepted!
    Archiving.