Economy Disable natural hostile mobs and add hostile spawners

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions' started by badpeteno, Nov 15, 2020.

1. badpeteno

badpeteno Well-Known Member

IGN:
    BadPeteNo
    Here's another suggestion that I'm expecting a lot of hate from, but when TPS is 12 on the regular...

There is a thread in the discussions currently describing how a single player with a massive hostile mob farm is chewing up the mob cap and crushing TPS.

If we had hostile spawners and disabled natural mob spawning, there's a few benefits:
    • You wouldn't need to build a massive lag machine to efficiently make mob farms
    • You could make better farms that only give you the resources you specifically want
    • TPS issues would be somewhat mitigated
    I would also suggest these hostile spawners should count toward the normal spawner cap, meaning a user couldn't create a lag-tastic quad island pig farm and THEN throw a hostile farm on top of it, which currently they totally could.

I would also also suggest these should be added to shop at medium to high prices based on the value of the drops (ex. zombie is the cheapest, then skeleton, then creeper, then spider, then enderman or whatever) and they should also be available from crates.

I realize this may be a bit of work to implement but I don't see any huge technical challenges, just a lot of small bits of work. Something needs to be done about the TPS issue and more redstone limits won't solve the issue with hostile farms.

• Support Support x 6
    • Neutral Neutral x 4
    • No Support No Support x 1
  2. Corpsedingle

Corpsedingle Member

Support only if 1 spawner was limited per mob on an island.

For Example: Max of 1 Skeleton spawner, 1 Zombie Spawner, 1 Spider Spawner .etc

3. vvyovx

vvyovx Member

IGN:
    vvyovx
    I still believe there is a large portion of people that play the server only for an at least vanilla slice of Minecraft not joining communities outside of the server. For example, when I started the first thing I did was make a natural mob farm because anything else felt alien and not part of how I consider advancing in Skyblock. I understand you're speaking out of concern about the lag on Economy but there are much more simple ways of addressing it like disabling the farms causing significant server lag rather than changing a basic function of how Minecraft works.

4. Splat1221

Splat1221 Active Member

IGN:
    SplatBerry
    I believe it’s fine as it is.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Justin

Justin - Premium Premium

I love this idea. I do agree with Corpsedingle. Much like /skyblock, a max amount of these spawners per island would be great. Support

6. badpeteno

IGN:
    BadPeteNo
    I remember older incarnations of the server where natural spawning was almost entirely disabled. I was a bit frustrated as the first thing I did was build a mob farm and wonder why it didn't work. Perhaps a balanced approach where natural farms are nerfed enough that a user is incentivized to use spawners but not so severely they don't work at all.

My understanding is the lag is generated by flowing water updating and moving into the next block, so perhaps a cap on that similar to redstone would also prevent the scale from going beyond reason.

I'm against any approach that requires placing a special restriction on a specific user such as "bro that farm is too much, tear it down". Rules should apply to all, even if they are intended to counteract the negative actions of a small handful of users.

It's not like we can just plop the laggiest islands on their own servers without a significant technical lift and manual effort by staff to identify and facilitate such a move.

7. Lw5

Lw5 Active Member

IGN:
    Lw5
    Sorry but no support disabling mobspawn is not a solution to reduce the lag for a near vanilla server.
    You could just make super large mobfarms which create lagg illegal or make mobflush mobfarms illegal or ust upgrade server :) (Sorry but i kinda dont believe an server is at max. upgrade when a single farm can drop tps from 19.5 to 5)

8. badpeteno

IGN:
    BadPeteNo
    I can't speak to server hardware as it's not my bag.

How do you propose we enforce lag farms be illegal without asking for subjective enforcement of a vague rule by mods? Also, what part of the server is vanilla? Skyblock at it's core is modded mincraft.

Also, I was very glad to come back after the last reset to find natural spawning enabled and would rather not see it go. What about an approach that puts a limit on water flowing to another block per chunk per 10 seconds like redstone? That's a much more targeted approach.

9. Grips23

Grips23 Active Member

IGN:
    Grips23
    Neutral Support

The addition of very limit hostile mob spawners, as CorspeDingle suggested wouldn't be a horrible idea, how ever potential income obtablable from them needs to be balanced and not abusable by currently established players. Mob grinders IMO are an early game income source and not something that would carry you to an "end game" point, this market should be saved for new players to profit in via reselling bones to players and crafting string into wool to resell, and gunpowder with paper to sell elytra users fireworks, and of course good old item selling to the /warp shop, by doing so aswell insures that new players have a constant open market to profit in, while allowing players that have re-invested/saved for long enough to expand past and beyond mob grinders to bigger and better things, like map arts, wool farms, blaze farms, and finally cactus, sugarcane and pumpkin.

Based of my gameplay i think some of these ideas could give some help, i've also laid out my experience with hostile mob grinders on the server, and how i used them to generate income at my mid/early game point as well as the rates of my timing for flush cycles.

I used to run a hostile mob grinder nightly before I expanded and relocated, I still have the grinder on my main island and I would be considered a decent yet still modest sized grinder. A good model for a staff reference as a baseline for a suitable scale on an island without overstepping a suitable server load/profit output relative to player progression. I would easily generate 30-50k per night, this was possible because I would stack the mobs, creating stacks reaching 1k+ (depending on the mob type creepers, skeleton, Zombies would reach 2-3k while witches would only reach about 600, and a handful of zombie villagers. these stacks of mobs sitting themselves do not cause lag as they are stacked in a single entity shell) slaying them all with fortune 3 during manual visits of a morning, then turning the spawner off for the rest of the day till i returned back to afk once again the next night. plus xp levels, which i would use to enchant and sell tools easily bring potential daily income up to 50k+ depending on your salesmen skills. i operated my grinder on a common hopper clock, with 2 stacks of items in it, giving a long time for spawning to occur, flushing water about every 1-2m. The current grinders we are seeing are not under the same operation/scale, they use a inconsiderate amount of dispensers, they dispense in inconsiderate rates, and cause inconsiderate lag, specifically there are 300+ buckets in 15's on the island that is causing the current tps issue.

With these experiences I feel some welcome temp/perm changes that shouldn't affect most players with modest builds while also preventing this replication in future could be
    • Giving dispensers a 1 minute cooldown for water buckets before becoming reactive
    • Add a chunk cap of 12-18 water dispensers activations per chunk per minute
    • And also as another method to ensure people dont just swap to piston doors allowing them to remain at old flush rates would be to reduce the flow rate of water down to 1/2, 1/4, extending the on time needed to successfully flush a floor and or some very proactive moderating to spot these before they become active

TL/DR: Spawners addition good, but keep them limited as corpsedingle said. 1 per mob type, no more. Also with tps concerns, a nerf on dispenser rates to 1-2 minutes or something relative to current "safe sized" hostile mob grinders, in hand with a water flow reduction e.g rates 1/2 or 1/4, would go a long way. as hostile mob grinders are the only device used ive seen on sb/eco that requires water pulsing, aside from farms, but perhaps a "if block under is farmland stay normal speed" could be added to not effect farms with flushing systems.

Wooo brainstorming ideas! xd

p.s soz for double spaces my keyboard hates me lmao

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Lw5

Lw5 Active Member

IGN:
    Lw5
    Idk maybe make a rule that is giving an max. area how large a mobfarm can be like 50x30x50 or something like that.
    Or make it not illegal but what grips said make an limit to how often dispensers can dispense water + reduced rates of water.

True on that but compared to other skyblock servers this one is very near on vanilla like unlike the other ones.
    Also i'd consider this server an harder skyblock server since the difficulty setting is on Hard with no keepinventory no iron farm nor villager trading. Also the fact that you cant easily get diamonds or emerald. So imo this server is pretty "hard".
    While disabling monsters this would just get more and more difficult since you just cut an income for bones and strings as mobdrops and overall exp drop. That would just contribute to even more p2w(because of /fix from elite+) since noobs cant really use mending beside using smelting from furnace(not really a thing since you cant automate it 1.13+ feature) and quartz farming.

11. badpeteno

IGN:
    BadPeteNo
    As TPS is consistently bad (frequent days at 10 and dips down to 4 for several hours at a time) I'm bumping this thread. It's also worth pointing out that most hostile types are available on survival with the /spawner command, so it's not that crazy to imagine them returning to eco.

• Agree Agree x 1