Core ProtectNew

Discussion in 'Server Gameplay Suggestions Archive' started by Lobh, Mar 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobh

Lobh Active Member

IGN:
    Lobh
    Hi there.

So after talking to a Mod and doing some research myself I have come to the conclusion that it would be beneficial for all servers to have access to the Core Protect plugin... (obviously just for moderator use)

So we have LogBlock on across all servers that allows moderators to log and see changes within blocks that have been placed broken or interacted with. Now this does not include entities such as: item frames, armour stand, paintings, mine carts...etc

Now after doing some research I have found this mod:

CoreProtect | SpigotMC - High Performance Minecraft

It is called coreprotect basically this plugin does the same thing as LogBlock but includes the data log for entities such as the ones I mentioned before.

This plugin would be beneficial in a lot of ways:

Allow mods to track / restore items lost from item frames (As I know a lot of player store rare items this way)

To stop / find players doing illegal trades through minecarts (chests and hopper)

Also the puglin allows roll back. So if someone has been griefed the plugin will allow a mod to roll back the island to a certain time frame to restore items and builds.

This would allow extra security and ease of fixing grieffed island / restoring lost items.

Okay now for the cons:

Mods would have my learn a lot of new commands and get to grips with how the puglin works.

The server might suffer tps drops and lag spikes if a rollback happens, as large qualities of block would be changed all at once.

It would be a lot of work for the devs to do. I know they have a lot on their plate already with economy!

Now obviously I know there will be a lot of a lot of people that will disagree with me on this post and that will think what we have is sufficient but I think otherwise.

I would like to hear people’s feedback!

Cheers
    -Lobooh

• Neutral Neutral x 1
  2. Beemo

Beemo Active Member

IGN:
    hakooo
    Support this would help a lot for those griefs

3. Monster_Sparklez

Monster_Sparklez Yee yee Bubba Premium Premium

IGN:
    Monster_Sparkles
    Neutral Leaning Towards Support, This would be a major revamp for moderators Lee could run into problems with this as rolling back a players island doesn't seem as simple as I think it is. I have no judgement as I won't be the one using this I think the focus should be mainly on what staff members think because there the ones that actually solve problems and will be using this.

4. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    75% support. Even though it would be extremely useful for the missing items, most mods are used to log block. Is coreprotect easy to use?

5. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

Core protect isn't suitable for our server which has been explained by lee in some other thread. I like both plugins but log block is fine. Players just need to be more responsible with their items and stop thinking log block will always be enough.
    No support

6. Michael

Michael Active Member

IGN:
    michael1234
    If I am remembering correctly, I believe that we used to have this plugin quite a while ago, and I am not sure why it was removed; however, I think that currently it would cause more harm than good. I believe that Lee also explained the reason we couldn't add it in another thread, but I can't seem to find it.

While it may be useful to have the ability to track entities, it would require for an enormous amount of storage space in order to save logs from all entities throughout the world, in addition to the current LogBlock plugin which tracks all block changes or chestaccesses. LogBlock already takes up so much space that the logs need to be cleared out every few months, and adding another plugin, that would most likely require even more frequent wipes as it would be logging every entity on the server, not only block/chest edits, and could easily lead to issues. Resetting them every few months isn't a huge problem, because most issues are discovered right away, and can easily be dealt with; if you get griefed, for example, you're not going to wait a month to tell someone about it, and even if you do, the logs will most likely still be saved.

Entities are edited, dropped, moved around, or thrown away extremely often, when compared to block changes. People with large grinders or generators would put a huge amount of stress on server resources, if I am understanding the plugin correctly, because each item that is thrown away, or left for clear lag, would have to be logged, which would be quite unnecessary; however, there isn't really a way for the plugin to tell the difference between what items are important and which ones don't matter.

We are also unable to rollback any items, and I doubt that it would change if this plugin were to be added. Players in the past were able to lie and use the rollback feature to duplicate large amounts of items, and it would be much better to just not take that risk in the first place. Removing rollback permissions for staff ensures that no extra items can enter the economy, even by accident. The plugin would really just cause more memory issues, and not be a helpful enough for it to be worth it.

Edit: As Krissy also said, players still need to be responsible enough in order to avoid most griefs altogether. Just because we have the tools to help track down items, doesn't mean that we will always be successful, and even if we are able to find them, it shouldn't give players an excuse to stop caring about their items, under the assumption that staff will always be able to refund them. LogBlock is not perfect, and there are many situations in which items cannot be recovered, simply because the items cannot be found. While it is our job to help locate lost or stolen items, the responsibility also falls on players themselves to be responsible enough to not lose them in the first place. LogBlock should be more of a safety net, just in case someone ends up being griefed; it shouldn't be assumed that items can always be refunded.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  7. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

We used to have the plugin on org however it wasn't maintained and kept breaking. I convinced cyp to get logblock on org.

8. fran

fran pensive Premium

IGN:
    franfiction
    After what Krissy and Michael said, I can't support this, sorry. Reasons explained by them.

9. Xethorias

Xethorias Senior Member

IGN:
    Xethorias
    Theres nothing really wrong with logblock, no support.
    This plugins isn't that good I've used it before

10. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    No support. What would be great if the plugin didn't have the side-effect that reduced the tps and more common lag spikes. The benefits are great but I don't think the issue with griefing isn't a major problem, right now (at the time of post) we have an issue with bots infiltrating the skyblock discord server

11. Lobh

Lobh Active Member

IGN:
    Lobh
    Krissy Michael

It’s actually quite refreshing to know what you guys think! I didn’t actually know that this had been implemented before! I do understand how this would cause tremendous amounts of strain on the server! In which is already a bit of an issue with high volume player.

And also what you mentioned about players lying to get duped items.... I have never thought about it in that way. That’s why it is always great to get others perspective.

This is actually alll the information I need Krissy Michael

Could you please lock and move this post to archive as I don’t think it’s nessary for more input. :) thank you

12. Michael

Michael Active Member

IGN:
    michael1234
    Thread locked on request.
    If you disagree to this action, please report this post, and a moderator or administrator will reconsider it.

Kind regards,
    The Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.