Character Counts.

Discussion in 'Forums Suggestions Archive' started by Dinglesplat, Jun 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinglesplat

Dinglesplat Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    This suggestion is more of an incorporation of multiple errors about character count.

1. Fix the "Your post must be longer than 5 characters error" even when the post meets the requirements, and is a few over. It seems like the requirement is more of 10 characters than 5? It would be nice if it was correct, the minimum character count was actually 5, and you didn't need any more "stupid character count" things at the end of some of your messages, like in forum games where you only need to reply with a number,

2. There is an oddity when it comes to character counts on statuses, and posting on others profiles. There was a suggestion made by Athyrix, although it seems it was archived/locked for some reason. I think this suggestion made some very good points about some of the oddities of character counts, and also should be something that should be implemented.
    The original, now archived thread is here.

Both of these things reguarding character counts are things that I feel should be implemented.

Feedback would be appreciated.

• Support Support x 9
    • Neutral Neutral x 2
  2. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    I tried doing a post with 1234567890 (10 characters) and didn't work. Fullest support everest!

3. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    Wait

EDIT: that up there ^^ before the edit could be posted by choosing a text size rather than it defaulting to one. Four is the default size.

4. Agent

Agent not really an agent Premium

IGN:
    Agentyy
    Neutral. A simple way to bypass the 5 character limit when replying to threads is by using the plain BBCode.

(plain) text goes here (/plain)
    Brackets would be used instead if you wish to truly do it. When you use this BBCode, your text will look like this: text goes here

As for profiles, I have no issue with making the character count the same for posts on your profile, posts on other profiles, and replies on any profile.

EDIT: By the way, great job on writing the suggestion! : )

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  5. Dinglesplat

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    Totally agree. It can be bypassed, and isn't really needed atm. But I feel like in the future, this should be implemented basically because it already should be. I mean, its not like they made a broken character counting program on purpose, so making it do its function right would be nice. Thank you for your feedback.
    Very odd. I think imma go back to my forums testing thread and try out a few combinations in order to see exactly what it takes to for the character counter to let you send the message.
    Agreed, it is easily bypassable, although I feel that fixing it so people don't even have to bypass would be good? Ty for your feedback.

And also ty! Imma try and fix the DJ one to be more like this one in the near future : )

6. Dinglesplat

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    9 day bumperoo. Has it been that long already???

7. Mai

Mai serendipity Discord Moderator Premium Premium

Yeah I wish it would get fixed. It can be a little annoying sometimes. I support.

8. Moee

Moee Well-Known Member

IGN:
    moearnings
    EDIT: it is 11 characters

9. Porky

Porky Active Member

Full support

10. Dinglesplat

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    Yea it can be a little frustrating at times
    Yea the count varies so much. Some even send with just 1 character!!
    Thx

Also like a 6 day bump

11. Pillow

Pillow blanky Premium

IGN:
    Pilberry
    You're only enable to do 1 character if you do a quote within a quote to fill up the post count* or set the character height to 4 (normal size)

[QUO TE="hi, post: 1, member: <member #>"][QUO TE="hi, post: 1 member: <member #>"][/QUO TE][/QU OTE]

like this:

12. Dinglesplat

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    2 month bump

13. eunice

eunice epiphany Premium

i'm neutral,

i can see how it can get annoying at times but i agree w/ what agent said

14. Moee

Moee Well-Known Member

IGN:
    moearnings
    resupport

15. Dinglesplat

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    Yeah, she made a good point.
    I personally feel that since it still is a bug it would be a good thing to fix, but you are right, it is easily bypassable. Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks!

16. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

I mean, what would you be posting that’s <10 characters unless it’s in the off topic section?

17. Dinglesplat

IGN:
    Dinglesplat
    Well I mean there are all kinds of things, for instance your ign in a giveaway thread, or an offer in a buy and sell thread, or a support status in a suggestion thread or a application thread (if you didn't have ratings) and many more

Also a little bump, because now that affy rix is forums admin this may actually have a chance of getting accepted and implemented

18. Tog

Tog atpoaim Discord Moderator Premium Premium Premium Premium

IGN:
    Togpuss
    Neutral for now, I agree that it can be annoying trying to reply to a thread and then being faced with the character limit GUI, however as many others have said, it can be easily bypassed with the (plain) [Text] (/plain).

19. Ca1

Ca1 Senior Member

That makes sense. I would like to see where the original post was that explained why the limit was added. Support

20. athyrix

athyrix Senior Member Premium

Character count has been decreased down to 5 to align with the notice users receive when insufficient characters are written. Despite the fact it has been lowered to 5, please make sure that your posts are still useful and contribute to the thread and also make sure that it isn't post farming - use ratings!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.