cars are a net negative for society

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zeonexist, Nov 18, 2022.

1. Zeonexist

Zeonexist Active Member

IGN:
    Zeonexist
    my friend got hit by a car yesterday walking on the sidewalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. KhalDrogo

KhalDrogo Experienced Member

IGN:
    Drogo
    Cars don't kill people. People kill people.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Zeonexist

Zeonexist Active Member

IGN:
    Zeonexist
    much easier to kill someone with a car than with a bike. when you have dozens of cars next to you and one of them swerves into you you can do literally nothing

4. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    The driver swerved. The car did exactly what it was supposed to do.

5. Zeonexist

Zeonexist Active Member

IGN:
    Zeonexist
    that doesn't mean the car is less dangerous... doing what a car is "supposed to do" doesn't involve hitting people. maybe your right, and we need less people in cars

6. KhalDrogo

IGN:
    Drogo
    Really sorry for your friend but the car is not at fault.
    Every day, peoples lives are ruined by scammers but we don't blame the telephones do we.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. MorayEel

MorayEel Active Member Premium

IGN:
    MorayEel
    I got hit by a car going 35 mph while crossing a crosswalk last year and it was a pretty scary experience. I just remember walking one second and then the next thing I know I'm looking up into the sky and rolling up onto a car's windshield before getting flung off.

People need to be more attentive and stay off of their phones when driving.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Beens

Beens Active Member Premium

IGN:
    BeensMC
    Very sorry to hear your friend was struck by a car, that's awful. I agree with Drogo that cars don't kill people, rather people do, however there are some very rare cases where I would argue the car was at fault for a wreck. For instance, I recently watched a video on a case where a family was driving down a freeway and the car's accelerator malfunctioned, causing it to stick full throttle. They called 911 and tried everything in their power to stop the vehicle, but ultimately they crashed going 120mph and nobody survived. Their family took Lexus to court and Lexus was deemed at fault and was ordered to pay a large settlement. However that is such a rare instance, the overwhelming majority of car wrecks are directly caused by human error.

On the note of cars being a net negative to society, I really have a hard time taking the point seriously. Sure, there is always a risk of you or another driver making a mistake that can negatively affect your life forever. But think about the positives. It allows us to easily get where we need to go and in a very reasonable amount of time, without hardly any physical effort. I live in a part of the world where if you don't have a car, you can't really do a whole lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Zeonexist

Zeonexist Active Member

IGN:
    Zeonexist
    that isn't nearly the same. guys what im saying is that cars are dangerous. im not saying its one hundred percent the car's fault, but when you have hundreds of cars on a road at a time and no protection against them for pedestrians, its super dangerous. if we got rid of most of the cars or at least downscaled them and had more public transportation, so many lives would be saved

10. lilCupcakeFreak

lilCupcakeFreak Well-Known Member Discord Moderator

IGN:
    lilcupcakefreak
    Cars are dangerous, scary and terrifying.
    Aswell as the crazy people in them who pay more attention to their phones than the road.

I'd love to see less cars and more bicycles, tho those electric bikes are terrifying aswell

11. Zeonexist

Zeonexist Active Member

IGN:
    Zeonexist
    i live in america now, and i agree that cars have some good uses, but the amount of damage they cause (climate change, noise pollution, unfriendly infrastructure for pedestrians) outweighs the benefits for me.
    this fax

12. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    I wouldn't say cars are dangerous. Any vehicle (train, plane, bike, etc) can be dangerous when not used properly. That being said, I've seen some pretty crazy people when driving. I do a lot of highway driving (given where I live) and I've seen a lot of reckless drivers. I saw this one driver narrowly miss a motorcycle and swerved away while in traffic. Another time I saw a driver driving well over 100mph in the carpool lane at night swerving in and out of traffic (traffic was light)

That being said, sorry to your friend who got it by one I hope he is alright. There's a lot of inconsiderate drivers that hurt innocent drivers who just wanna drive or wanna have fun.

In terms of transportation, personal cars are the main contributors, then you have trucks which also pollute. Trains and planes do not pollute as much as they are more efficient (trains being the most efficient). For commuting, I think a gasoline powered car isn't worth it due to increased insurance rates (versus leisure driving). Electric cars have their own drawbacks (you're still polluting through manufacturing batteries) and a lot of automotive companies see it as easy money since an electric car literally has a battery and a motor, which is way less than a typical gasoline car with an engine, transmission, starter, battery, radiator, ABS (some older cars don't have it), engine and transmission oil, differential (forward driving cars have what's called a transaxle which is a transmission and differential together), coolant, and other things.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. SuperCoolWimp

SuperCoolWimp Active Member

lol
    lol
    lol

14. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    bro thinks he did something :nerd:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Zeonexist

Zeonexist Active Member

IGN:
    Zeonexist
    imo trains, planes and bikes (maybe not planes) are not even comparable to the dangers of cars. if you hit someone going as fast as you can with a bike, depending on the person its unlikely it would be fatal. if you hit someone at max speed with a car though, hes going to die. 36,096 people died from cars in the USA 2019, compared to 937 from rail accident fatalities, and (this is a rough estimate) 166 people from planes. that is not even close to the same. you could say it is much easier to cause more deaths in a plane than in a car, but you have to pilot the plane first. that also doesnt consider the fact that there are many dozens or even hundreds of cars on any stretch of a freeway at any time of day, all with the capacity to kill people. even if people try their best to avoid crashes, its inevitable because cars are literally dangerous

16. SuperCoolWimp

SuperCoolWimp Active Member

These numbers say very little about cars... It's a good base though!

What percent of transport in the US is done by car? What percent of transport in the US is done by train? Of the cases where people died from "cars" what percent of them involved alcohol, speeding, texting, or any other not safe activities whilst driving? What percent of the rail accidents happened from this?

I get you are upset about your friend, who wouldn't be? The issue is that cherry picking issues and pinning them on cars alone is dumb. I'm not here to say cars are great, I just think some justice should be done for them. To say that the benefits of cars are not worth it because they homicidal planet killing machines is an awful approach. Look at Europe, look at most big cities, look at transport they have, find the reasons for that, take inspiration from that. Cars aren't weapons, they are transportation tools. The honda civic didn't have it out for yo home boy, the drunk operator did.

17. Oakk

Oakk Experienced Member

IGN:
    OakiiDoakie
    I believe the number of how many people died from humans would be greater than that

18. Zeonexist

Zeonexist Active Member

IGN:
    Zeonexist
    difference is we can live without cars (and it would be much cooler too)

19. Oakk

Oakk Experienced Member

IGN:
    OakiiDoakie
    The thing is with cars, approximately 99% of the car accident is humans faults. You should’ve driven slower so you would’ve had a chance to brake, you should’ve been more careful. Again there is a problem about humans not the cars

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Zeonexist

Zeonexist Active Member

IGN:
    Zeonexist
    you got me on this one gotta admit. however, i dont know what you mean by "cherry picking issues." how exactly are they cherry picked