Denied Banned for homophobia and racial slurs?????

Discussion in 'Appeals Archive' started by Grepatue, Apr 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    • Punished Discord name & tag: Grepatue#0001
    • Punished Discord ID: ^
    • Punishment message: "You were banned from Skyblock | Homophobia and racial slurs in vc [14 Days]"
    • Have you read the Discord rules? Yes.
    • Do you think this punishment was incorrect? Yes.
    • Why should you be unbanned/unmuted? I don't understand the context and would appreciate being provided with it, I have gay friends and even have made transgender and gay friends on skyblock itself and any of them could tell you that I am definitely not homophobic whatsoever. I am not sure what "racial slur" is being claimed was used but if I am told what it was and it's a real slur than I rescind my appeal and apologize. I remember a VC call today that Bubloe herself was in, and she gave no signs or warning verbally to anything that was said the entire time, I even asked her if I was nearing any lines and should change conversation and I got told I was fine. I also stated in the same VC that I was not homophobic so I honestly don't know how that came about...
    • Please list any other times you were punished on the Skyblock Discord: 2/21/21 For "You were kicked from Skyblock | be appropriate" and 1/28/21 for "You were warned in Skyblock for: please be a bit more appropriate and mindful that our server has many underage kids, and not to go too into specific details of the topics"
    • If you know, tag the staff member that punished you: Probably Luka or Bubloe.
    • Do you understand and accept the Skyblock Discord rules and our code of conduct? Yes.

2. Novembree

Novembree Super Moderator Super Moderator

IGN:
    Novembree
    Hi Grep, Bubloe was the one who banned you and will be handling your appeal. As she does not have the ability to reply to appeals on the forums, I will be posting her replies for you.

-=-

You have said the N-word (a racial slur) numerous times, and today you said, "If I were gay, I would want someone to put a bullet through my head". These are words that are hurtful to many groups of people, and we do not tolerate homophobia or racism on the Skyblock discord. I would hate for a young, new player, or any player for that matter, to join the voice call and hear some of the things you have said. Do you understand why this type of speech is inappropriate and can be very hurtful?

Bubloe

3. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    I fully understand how some topics could be disruptive to new players, hence why I only talked about what I was talking about only when players who I knew wouldn't be bothered by it were there and Bubloe yourself is included on that list as I asked you straight up if we should change conversations, and you said "No that's fine." I can give a name if you'd like to interview someone who was actually there who will attest to that fact.

I admit I have slipped and said the N word in VC that is true, but NOT that day, so including that in the reasoning for the ban is taking up things you heard people said I said in the past and that is hearsay.

I would also appreciate an accurate quote if you are going to quote me. I said "If I ever turn out gay. just put a bullet through my head." Not "If I were gay..." Only if I turned out to become gay. It was said and directly followed by, "I don't have any issue with gay people, but I prefer not to be, nothing against homosexuals." I can provide a witness to that fact as well.

I can see how what I said could be offensive to someone who is homosexual but I asked my gay friend soon after the fact if he would have found that offensive and he said quote, "No you aren't wanting to shoot me for being gay or shoot anyone for being gay, and what you want to happen to you is your life."

I will accept your ban if you think this reasoning is faulty, but I find it odd and a little troublesome that the person who banned me (two hours after the fact) didn't even attempt to steer the conversation away from touchy subjects or give any indication that it was going to result in trouble, and even when asked said that it was "fine".

I have not been banned in Discord ever, I have received the warnings I listed above ^^ for Discord, but those are over a year old and I have not had any trouble since, so I find a sudden 14 day a little excessive, especially when you (Bubloe) was there and didn't make any attempt to even stop the conversation and let it continue even after being asked, and let it finish and decided after the fact that it wasn't okay?

I will reiterate that I am not homophobic. I take no issue if you are gay. Some of my best friends are gay and I love them regardless. Claiming I am homophobic is extremely hurtful.

In closing, if someone was actually offended by something I said, I apologize. I mean that. I don't like offending people and that is on me.

4. bubloe

bubloe Experienced Member

IGN:
    bubloe
    You were saying general cuss words in the VC when you asked if that was fine, and as soon as you said the homophobic remark, I left the voice call so I could figure out what to do and if I should/ how I should punish for that. Yes, the racial slur was a few days before, but I was in that VC and was discussing how to proceed with other staff members. Just because your friend, who is gay, said that what you said isn't offensive to them, does not mean others will say the same.

Some of the things you choose to say can be very hurtful. When deciding on the 14-day ban I asked for others' opinions and I was directed on what to do.

Do you have any questions or concerns, and do you understand the reasoning behind the ban?

5. Grepatue

Grepatue Active Member

IGN:
    Grepatue
    Actually I was about to talk about a cows anatomy when I asked that and that came after I had already talked about the supposed 'homophobic remark' which I still don't find homophobic as I am not homophobic and clearly stated that right after that comment because I saw immediately how it could be taken as such, which you were there to hear that as well, so I disagree with that.

I can accept the racial slur remark being the reason. I am sad that it took so long for any response to happen to it and seeing as how there was so few people in that VC and no one took offense to it in that moment, I find it semi-alarming that it was a 14 day ban when I had no offenses for over a year and those offenses were simple warnings for non slur related things (one of which I didn't even start the topic on) and both were in actual general chat and not a VC with a handful of people.

I accept your ban and will sit it out as I don't see you and I agreeing on the former.

Again apologies to anyone who was offended by what was said on either day and I will work towards being better.

6. bubloe

bubloe Experienced Member

IGN:
    bubloe
    Your ban will expire in 14 days. Until then, we encourage you to take the time to review our Discord rules here: Skyblock Official Site | Skyblock

Thank you for creating an appeal, but unfortunately your appeal has been denied.
    We strongly recommend reading through this thread here for any future appeals!
    Thread closed and moved to Appeals Archive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.