An ode to this "place" - from 2014

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by LiamC2000, Apr 23, 2021.

Tags:
  1. LiamC2000

LiamC2000 Well-Known Member

Hi! Not sure who will read this, and if anyone does I imagine it won't be someone I know.

I started on Skyblock my freshman year of high school, 6/7 years ago now. I played often and made many friends, which was a nice thing to do at a very lonely time in my life. Things got better, things got worse, things got better again. It's all up and down, peaks and valleys. I probably played daily for a year or two, but when people I knew stopped logging on frequently, so did I.

It was a strange experience when the real world and Skyblock bled into each other. The first time I joined a call with server friends (we were using TeamSpeak back then, maybe Skype, Discord wasn't really around) I was terrified of what they'd think of my squeaky little pre-pubescent voice. Turns out, they sounded about the same. We exchanged Snapchats and Instagrams -- these were real relationships, I thought. These people could see my face and friends and life outside, and I could see theirs. We weren't just blocky avatars. We were people, and we were friends. It was an odd community.

I've had some spurts back on the server -- the map reset a few years ago was rejuvenating. I remember having big plans for an underwater island and set about enclosing the entire map in smooth stone. My friends were rejoining too, albeit briefly. We each had our projects. At one point during the first few days of the reset, I logged off one night and logged back on the next morning to see that my friends had completed my stone wall for me. What an act of kindness! They had invested real time to help out someone they'd met on a Minecraft server, because they thought it might make my life easier or bring me joy. And they were right. And I was grateful.

Making my "life" easier is a strange way to put it. These were virtual worlds, stored in bytes on some server. But the friendships were real, even if they existed only in the digital sphere. Where was our relationship located? What did it look like? Did it exist as collective energy put into the world? Collective care?

In any case, I cherished my friendships and I mourned their disintegration. There was no choice or moment that brought us apart. Only a trip up a mountain and down a valley. A virtual valley, maybe. I still have your Instagrams. Maybe I'll reach out. To all of you still playing, enjoy it well. You are a memory maker.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Cookie Cookie x 2
  2. GLaDDeX1234

GLaDDeX1234 Active Member

IGN:
    GLaDDeX1234
    I'm glad u made such nice and meaningful friends on here! I love when the internet is nice and everyone gets along (that's one of the things I try to do on here, just make friends and help everyone out to make their days better!). Hopefully you come back and make more friends, i'd love to see u come back!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. bubloe

bubloe Experienced Member

IGN:
    bubloe
    This is exactly why I love this community. Making friends on here is so much more than it seems and I truly cherish the memories that I have and am continuing to make with the people I have met on here :sobbing:

i think i joined around the same time. i was in 6/7th grade back then and now im a sophomore in college..
    anyways my username back then was fluffywolf1

ALSO if u want another friend msg me on discord hehe (bubloe#0698)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  4. archerexpert777

archerexpert777 Senior Member

IGN:
    simparch777
    I think when I first joined in 2015, I hardly knew anyone. But the more I talked on the server, I slowly but surely made friends which last to this day. Its interesting how the friends you make here, aren't likely the same ones you have irl. I can tell you there's people I have met here who I would consider a best friend and people I would love to be with than the people I met irl. It's not to say the ones irl are bad, you just don't get to meet people with similar interests as you.

Im kinda quiet irl and I tend to have a hard time talking to people (learning disability I have) so it was hard. Of course I'm still getting better by the day. I hardly knew anyone who was like me, at that time the ones I knew mainly didn't talk to me much due to some conflicts I had during the time. I only knew this server from an irl friend in one of my history classes in my freshman year of high school.

Sharing my socials with other people over a block game may sound weird to some people, but I don't find it different if you were to share your socials with other people at a concert or at a random place in public. Whats cool is how most people I follow on other forms of social media mainly are from skyblock not anywhere else.

I never had teamspeak and I hardly used skype. When discord came out in March 2017, I was hesitant to move there, but realized I would be missing out on really cool stuff on there so I joined in June 2017. From there I met a lot of people, made memories, and long time friendships that last to this day.

Its safe to say that it is true there were some toxic times (and some of that toxicity still lingers today) but the community here is nothing short of unity and a close friendship to be honest.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Marcy

Marcy Apostlé of Falcons Premium

IGN:
    Marcawn
    Honestly ever since Mark came back to the server last year he made good progress over the months, he was a known player back in the year 2016 when so much toxicity was around and frustrating times, Mark has been silent for so many years that Mark hasn't had an actual real friend in over 6 years, firstly joined somewhere in 2013 or early 2014.

Just wish the server had more players and more stuff to do.

• Friendly Friendly x 1