Add alert count to page title.

Discussion in 'Forums Suggestions Archive' started by User19980814, May 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User19980814

User19980814 Well-Known Member

Greetings,

For some of you not known with HTML and CSS logic I will do an explanation first. Every very basic page can be built up out of the same 'blocks'. And they sort of look like this:
    HTML:
    <html>
       <head>
          <title>Skyblock Forums</title>
       </head>
       <body>
       Stuffz for in the webpage go here.
       </body>
    </html>
    Now between the tags <title> you will notice it says Skyblock Forums, which is traceable to the title of your tab in your browser if you go to Skyblock Forums

I want to request to put the amount of alerts and/or inbox messages you got in that title. I inserted some images for reference:

As you can see in this picture, I have two alerts but it does not display in my title in tab.
    photo1.jpg
    And here, when I have 3 alerts it does display in my title in tab (I entered it with inspect element)
    photo2.jpg

In my opinion it would increase the efficiency of alerts being red, some people tend to check every few minutes with the tab opened for new alerts and with this feature they don't have to check but can notice in the title of the tab before clicking it.

Let me know what you all think.

Kind regards,
    ArtsmeiH

• Support Support x 2
  2. Evux

Evux Well-Known Member

IGN:
    Evux
    This seems mildly useful, It would definitely help me! 100% Support if it doesn't require much effort! :')

3. Krissy

Krissy f̺͆o̺͆r̺͆g̺͆m̺͆i̺͆n̺͆ Administrator Discord Administrator Premium Premium

The big question is... IF this can be done without an add on. Because as you would know, xenforo is the software and given this, a functionality like this may be limited by this software. Add ons add functionality however they may also not be reliable.

So if this can be written in and the forums software allows for this, then support, seems like a nice touch since a lot of websites have this
    eg. [​IMG]

4. Michael

Michael Active Member

IGN:
    michael1234
    Support. It isn’t super necessary, but it would be cool to see this implemented.

5. Myrmidous

Myrmidous Well-Known Member Premium

Good morning, Mr. ArtsmeiH.

That is an excellent suggestion and the benefit to convenience is very clear. I'll add this to the list of possibilities and forward.

Off the top of my head the only drawback I can think of is Xenforo does not seem to update the tab unless it is "active". Normally I have to switch to this window and give it a second (or click something) before the new alerts pop up. This suggests to me that the underlying JavaScript function is politely waiting for interaction instead of running in a constant background loop pinging the forums for changes.

Honestly that may be a Chrome thing. I have not tested forums on Internet Explorer: Perhaps it keeps running on that. Looking into it and thank you very much for the suggestion.

Kind regards,
    //Myrmidous

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.